[SOLVED] Restoring .qcow2 file after Proxmox reinstallation

fastrick

Jun 10, 2022
I recently reinstalled Proxmox on my system, and prior to the reinstallation, I had an OMV (OpenMediaVault) virtual machine (VM) running on a 4TB HDD (with 1.5TB of total storage in use). However, after reinstalling Proxmox, I encountered an issue when attempting to mount the disk again using the Proxmox GUI. The only option available was the "Wipe Disk" option, which would erase all the data on the disk.

Upon exploring the Proxmox system, I discovered the presence of the .qcow2 file, which I learned contains the files of the VM. I came across several YouTube tutorials explaining how to restore the .qcow2 file, but unfortunately, I do not have an additional HDD with sufficient capacity to restore the VM.

Edit: Researching I mounted the HDD back to proxmox using
Bash:
pvesm add dir new-hdd --path /root/NAS.
How to create the VM again using the .qcow2 file?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 20.46.14.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-15 at 20.46.14.png
    41.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!