[SOLVED] Restoring a single disk (solved command line)

diaolin

Renowned Member
Jul 7, 2008
Trentino Italy
Hi folks,
i've many PVE installed anywhere and i have a simpler question with a difficult answer, i presume:

I've a container with multiple mountpoints

rootfs 8GB
/data 1,7TB
/var/log 1TB

the PBS works perfect

the question:

is there a way to restore only the rootfs for example withouth restoring the entire system?
Not via "Restore Files" obviously...

All disks are on lvm

Many thanks

Diaolin

Good evening,

I believe so, and this forum post includes good ideas for alternatives too. But to your point, "Restore files" should also allow you to download an entire virtual disk. For containers this would be a root.pxar.didix I believe. Login to PBS > Datastore > datastore-name > CT > folder > root.pxar.didix > Download (save icon). Then you can upload this back to any host if you'd like. You can save that horrendous double transfer by issueing the proxmox-backup-client tool (see the forum post with VM example), but be careful of course.

Currently, there is no way in the GUI to do this as far as I understand but my PBS is only 2.1 not 2.2 so I could be wrong.

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/restore-single-virtual-disk-from-pbs.95868/

Cheers,

Tmanok

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!