Restore VM qcow2

TheSover

Jun 12, 2023
I've restored a machine that initially has a qcow2 format disk, but when I restored , it was restored with a .raw format, now I can't make snapshots on a directory pool, when you restore a VM you can't select the format of the disk , there is some configuration in backup server that sets the format disk on raw always? or when you set the Backup job you can select if you want to respect the format of the disk? there is some way to respect the format when you restore the disk?

Hello,

it should restore the disk in the same format as before (qcow2) unless you use a storage which is not compatible with qcow2 like lvm, zfs, and so on.

now I can't make snapshots on a directory pool
Could it be that you restored the vm inside an lvm instead of an directory?

Could you provide your vm and storage configurations?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!