Restore Single Disk from PBS

monkee

Jul 30, 2023
Hi all,

I have a PBS running nested in PVE. All good so far.
I also have OMV (NAS) running as VM in PVE, and as you can imagine, this is a lot of data. The good thing, the data is stored on multiple (physical) disks. Now one physical disk which I used exclusively for OMV died and I want to restore the virtual disks which were stored on this particular physical disk. How can I achieve this, without restoring the whole OMV NAS VM and therefore all disks?

Some background:
The PBS is storing the backups on a physical disk mounted via USB.
The OMV virtual disks and PBS is storing on ZFS with discard.

I know I can download a single disk via the PBS GUI, but (a) how to reimport?, and (b) can I download/import this directly to PVE without doing the extra step and downloading this to my client first? Is there another option like "restoring a single zfs-disk"?

I am open for input.

Thanks! :)

there is no built-in way to directly restore a singel disk from pbs to a pve vm.

you can export a single disk (as you said) and then do something like 'qm importdisk' (or just move the file into a position where pve would recognize it, this depends on you r storage setup though)

I am still not sure how to do this the smart way.
Can you please give me some guidance in the right direction?

Some more info regarding my setup:
  • The PBS is a VM inside PVE. The physical disk where I store my backups is connected to the VM via USB. It is a ZFS drive.
  • The disk I want to restore was stored on a zfs pool on a physical disk which broke.
  • I want to restore the virtual disk from the PBS to another zfs pool.
Hope this info helps. I would really appreciate some practical tips.

Thanks a lot.

Detach your corrupted vDisk
Then create an new empty vDisk in your VM.
Then restore single drive with pbs-restore from PVE Shell / CLI ( replace 127.0.0.1 by your PBS VM ip ) :
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/restore-individual-disk-from-pbs.115024/post-588786
Thank you very much. It worked perfectly.

For documentation purposes:

This is the initial command which was suggested.
Code:
export PBS_PASSWORD=xxx
export PBS_FINGERPRINT=paste_from_your_PBS
pbs-restore --repository root@pam@127.0.0.1:pbs-datastore vm/XXX/2023-09-11T17:30:04Z drive-scsi0.img.fidx /dev/pve/vm-XXX-disk-0 --verbose --format raw --skip-zero

Some additional info:
  • 127.0.0.1 -> IP of PBS
  • vm/XXX/2023-09-11T17:30:04Z drive-scsi0.img.fidx -> The backup & drive you want to restore
  • /dev/pve/vm-XXX-disk-0 -> The target vDisk which you had to create before starting this process (I created a new vDisk with the same size as the source vDisk I want to restore). If this new drive is on another zfs pool, then use something like this: /dev/other_zfs_pool/vm-101-disk-2
  • I am not sure if this is necessary, but just to be sure I shut down the VM before starting this.

Last edited:
Reactions: c.o.h.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!