Restore just 1 disk from VM

Jarvar

Aug 27, 2019
Is it possible to restore just 1 disk out of a VM?
For example, I have a Windows Server 2016 VM which separates the data drive E:\ from the C:\ Operating System.
Could I just restore the Operating system or just the Data drive from PBS?
Sometimes there is an error after Windows Updates and the OS hits a boot loop or blue screen of death.
In that situation I have to find a working previous copy of the OS if I can't salvage to boot it.
Then I delete the old Data drive. Detach the latest data drive from the non working OS and attach to the working OS.
If there was a way to just restore the working OS and Working Data from either it would save a lot of space and maybe some time.
Any help would be much appreciates.
Thank you.

Is it possible to restore just 1 disk out of a VM?
For example, I have a Windows Server 2016 VM which separates the data drive E:\ from the C:\ Operating System.
Could I just restore the Operating system or just the Data drive from PBS?
Sometimes there is an error after Windows Updates and the OS hits a boot loop or blue screen of death.
In that situation I have to find a working previous copy of the OS if I can't salvage to boot it.
Then I delete the old Data drive. Detach the latest data drive from the non working OS and attach to the working OS.
If there was a way to just restore the working OS and Working Data from either it would save a lot of space and maybe some time.
Any help would be much appreciates.
Thank you.
No, restoring using another VMID, then move the disk you want to another VM and delete the restored VM is the way to go. I already made a ticket for this: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/feature-request-advanced-restore-options-in-gui.109707/

Thank you. So I should always make sure I have enough working space for both full VMs and then I can move around the disks as needed.
Yes, and especially annoying in case you got a very big VM like a NAS with a 20TB vdisk for the shares and a 32GB vdisks for the OS and you just want to restore the 32GB system disk but you are forced to restore the 20TB of data too...
In such a case it might be worth to use the proxmox-backup-client via CLI which I think should be able to restore single disks. Didn't tested it with VM backups but restoring single disks of a host backup works fine.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!