[SOLVED] Required previous Proxmox VE and apt packages version

bond347

Oct 21, 2022
Hi All,

In early Mar 2023, i updated all my proxmox servers apt packages
pve-kernel-5.15.102-1-pve/stable,now 5.15.102-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
proxmox-ve/stable,now 7.3-1 all [installed]
pve-manager/stable,now 7.3-6 amd64 [installed]

Due to some issues, yesterday, i had to reinstall proxmox ve on one of my servers. This time "apt update" shows, it will update proxmox ve to version 7.4-1 and other apt versions to the latest.
pve-kernel-5.15/stable 7.3-3 all [upgradable from: 7.2-14]
proxmox-ve/stable 7.4-1 all [upgradable from: 7.3-1]
pve-manager/stable 7.4-3 amd64 [upgradable from: 7.3-3]

As mentioned, all my other servers are version 7.3-1 and i don't want to update this one server with the latest proxmox ve 7.4 version. So, is there a way for me to match this one server with the rest of the server's apt packages version?

Hi,

what repositories are set up on all of these servers?
Either post a screenshot of the Updates -> Repositories page or the output of more /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* | cat

7.4 is the current version (released just last week) and minor version upgrades are compatible even in clustered environments. Are there any specific reason you don't want to upgrade to 7.4?

Reactions: bond347
Hi,

what repositories are set up on all of these servers?
Either post a screenshot of the Updates -> Repositories page or the output of more /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.d/* | cat

7.4 is the current version (released just last week) and minor version upgrades are compatible even in clustered environments. Are there any specific reason you don't want to upgrade to 7.4?

Hi Cheiss,

These are the repositories.
1680153292352.png

Noted on pve 7.4 release. The reason was all my other servers were upgraded on 1st week of March. So i wanted to have the same apt packages on this new server too, for me to avoid upgrading all the rest of the servers.

Edit: I knew eventually will update the rest of the servers. But for knowledge, Is it possible or is there any way for me to just install the 1st week of march apt packages on this 1 server?

Look forward to your comments.

Last edited:
if you want to use a point-in-time snapshot of repositories, check out proxmox offline mirror: https://pom.proxmox.com

in general, downgrading packages might work, but it's not guaranteed and thus I would only resort to that when encountering specific issues with specific versions.

Noted on pve 7.4 release. The reason was all my other servers were upgraded on 1st week of March.
Right, I understand your situation now.

So i wanted to have the same apt packages on this new server too, for me to avoid upgrading all the rest of the servers.
There normally is no need for that, other than some very special circumstances where you really need a specific version of a package.
Differences in minor versions should not have any impact, especially just one minor version.
Clustering/migration/etc work all the same (which I assume is part of your setup) for this cases.

But if you really need to downgrade due to some reason, please see Fabian's answers :)

You could download the 7.3 ISO and install that. Maybe then you can upgrade the individual packages to the desired version, sounds better to me, not sure if it'll work though.

Hi All,

Thanks, Fabian, Cheiss and Dignus for taking the time to have a discussion and providing links.

I just wanted to know for my knowledge. Eventually, i will upgrade all the servers to the latest.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!