Replacement Server - best practice/method?

hotwired007

Sep 19, 2011
UK
I am replacing two of my servers with much faster 16 core AMD systems (previously 4 core Intel), whats the best method to do this? I have 5 nodes currently and will be replacing two and removing 1 from the cluster. i need to reassign the current IP addresses to the existing servers.

Whats the best practice to remove the nodes? and rebuild the servers - will it matter if the servers have different names?

remove/poweroff the old one, then install the new server (use same hostname and IP) and join with the --force flag.

if you provide a new hostname the old will not replaced (you add a new node), therefore you need to delete the old/removed node manually.

if you provide a new hostname the old will not replaced (you add a new node), therefore you need to delete the old/removed node manually.

And move the old VM config files to the correct directory in /etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>

So walk me through the procedure. I plan on removing Node2 for example:

Node2: migrate all VMs to Node1

Shut down Node2

On Node1: (whats the command to remove the node?)

use pvecm, see:

Code:
man pvecm

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!