Replace cache & log disk

AxelTwin

Oct 10, 2017
Hi everyone,

I have one ssd drive split in 2 with log & cache configured on it.

Is it safe to take it offline and replace it with a bigger one ?

Any particular things I need be cautious with ?

I recommend to NOT use cache (as of L2ARC) and use a special device with metadata instead. This will yield faster pool times

I recommend to NOT use cache (as of L2ARC) and use a special device with metadata instead. This will yield faster pool times
Jup, but that at least as a mirror nd not with the slog on the same disks.

thnaks for those usefull informations.
I will buy a second disk and setup seperate cache using special device.

Actually.. I setup my special devices in 3. Except when they're optane, then I use 2.
I believe Tuxis does the same for their PBS systems. Otherwise when one disk fails, the system is instantly at risk of down-time after the next failure. Using three gives you the time to replace one while having redundancy during this process (and you get more read IOPS).

Reactions: LnxBil
I will buy a second disk and setup seperate cache using special device.
I'd buy new disks (optane) for slog. You don't need a lot of space for slog. A few GB are fine, therefore a 16 or 32 GB Optane will suffice and will tremendously speed up your system on sync writes.

Reactions: AxelTwin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!