renaming vmbr_x to vmbr_y (/etc/network/interfaces)

Spoonman2002

Jul 6, 2021
Holland
Hi,

just a quick question:

when I rename an existing vmbr0 to something like vmbr1 on the PVE host,
all my vm's and lxc's loose their original vmbr0 connection.
In other words, I have to re-assign in every virtual machine the new Bridge,
because the old one is gone.

Is there a fast way to re-assign ALL virtual machines to the new Bridge?

Hi,
not that I know of. And backups still would need to be adapted manually after restoring. It's not that common of a scenario to rename a bridge, what do you gain from it?

Hi,
not that I know of. And backups still would need to be adapted manually after restoring. It's not that common of a scenario to rename a bridge, what do you gain from it?
Thanks for your reply.
I want to rename the Bridges into logical names that correspond with the nic naming.
But I think I just leave it as it is...too much work and reconfiguration.

Thanks for your reply.
I want to rename the Bridges into logical names that correspond with the nic naming.
But I think I just leave it as it is...too much work and reconfiguration.
You could do this with sed for the .conf-files in /etc/pve/lxc/ and /etc/pve/qemu-server/ when the LXC and Vms are powered off.

Reactions: Spoonman2002

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!