Removing LVM and creating LVM-thin or ZFS

VadimKas

Oct 17, 2022
Hello there, can you pls help me with removing LVM from the additional disk on my ProxMox VE server and create instead LVM-thin or ZFS. Yesterday I found out that I cant snapshot my machines if they are placed on LVM. I have 2 SSD in Raid 1 config and 2 HDD in Raid 1 config. I suppose to use HDD as a storage for my machines. I found out a few articles how to remove LVM on Linux, but maybe you can advise more efficient algoritm. And what is better to use, LVM-thin or ZFS?1665995606343.png

Last edited:
I think in your case it is easiest to backup all the disks from sdb externally, then removing the LVs and creating a new LV with thin pool, then move the disks from the backup back to the newly created thin pool.

As for the question between LVM-thin vs ZFS, it depends on what you want. LVM certainly is easier to start with and more lightweight, also it consumes less resources. ZFS on the other hand provides more features (compression, encryption, replication, better snapshots, software raid), but also in turn consumes more resources. I would say it depends on whether you actually want to use some of the additional features ZFS provides.

I think in your case it is easiest to backup all the disks from sdb externally, then removing the LVs and creating a new LV with thin pool, then move the disks from the backup back to the newly created thin pool.

As for the question between LVM-thin vs ZFS, it depends on what you want. LVM certainly is easier to start with and more lightweight, also it consumes less resources. ZFS on the other hand provides more features (compression, encryption, replication, better snapshots, software raid), but also in turn consumes more resources. I would say it depends on whether you actually want to use some of the additional features ZFS provides.
The point is that I can't do snapshots, that makes easier for me to test other products, I had NAS before and had no problem with it, but now all storages located on the one server. I've already removed my LVs, but now I cant figure out how to create LVM-thin. I decided its better than ZFS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!