Remove single CPU Flag

Feb 2, 2024
Hello,

we give all our VMs the CPU Typ: host
Now we have the problem, that live migration is not working, because not all Hardware Nodes have extactly the same CPU. The Flags of the CPU does not fully match.
So we need to remove the following flags:
-mpx | -sgx | -sha
virtual-address-bits = 48

How can we do that?

CPUs we have:
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6442Y
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4316
- Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 5218R

So to have the same flat set, we need to do the changes described above.

Thanks
Best Regards

Marco

Last edited:
I guess you shouldn't be giving VMs host CPU type if you want live migration and AFAIK masking out CPU flags only on VMs when using host mode is not possible, you'll probably mask those flags on your host OS.

The qemu man page explicitly says this:
Live migration is unsafe when this mode is used as libvirt / QEMU cannot guarantee a stable CPU is exposed to the guest across hosts.

How can I mask flags on the host OS?

I know best is to use virtual cpus, but which Virtual CPU Typ should I use to match all of these CPU. I didn't found the right one.
x86-64-v4 has too less features

Thanks
Best Regards

Marco

I know this page, but I don't know how this could help me.
Code:
In a deployment with amixture of host CPU models between machines, if live migrationcompatibility is required, use the newest CPU model that is compatibleacross all desired hosts.

So you'll want something that goes with Skylake-Server

Wondering that on host with Intel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6442Y which is a SapphireRapids generation is not working.
Error message:

Virtual CPU: SapphireRapids
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.hle [bit 4]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: CPUID.07H:EBX.rtm [bit 11]
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(10AH).taa-no [bit 8]

Virtual CPU: Icelake-Server-v6
kvm: warning: host doesn't support requested feature: MSR(10AH).taa-no [bit 8]

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!