Reject unknown recipient with local E-Mail address lists ?

mhess

Jan 11, 2007
Hi there,

is it possible to block all unknown E-Mail addresses for a domain with a local address list an the 'Who' object ?
A LDAP server is not available, the known E-Mail addresses are manuell added to an address list.

Michael Hess

Hi there,

is it possible to block all unknown E-Mail addresses for a domain with a local address list an the 'Who' object ?
A LDAP server is not available, the known E-Mail addresses are manuell added to an address list.

Michael Hess

Hi Michael,

Yes, its possible but not comfortable.

Better:
In version 1.7 (available in February 07) we implementet address verification to check this - enabling with just on click.

I suggest that you wait for this - by enabling this feature you can dramatically reduce e-mail traffic.

Unfortunately we need a solution now.
Can you give us instructions how to do this with version 1.6 ?

Michael Hess

Unfortunately we need a solution now.
Can you give us instructions how to do this with version 1.6 ?

Michael Hess

First, create the who object "valid user" and change the standard spam rule to analyse just the valid emails and use quarantine. Quarantine is a final action so all spam emails to valid users are sent to the quarantine. Second, accept all emails sent to valid users. Accept is also a final action and not further rules are applied. Third, block the rest. Take care on the priorities.

Based on the standard ruleset:

1. Create a new WHO object "Valid Users", add all valid e-mail addresses

2. Modify the existing rule "Mark Spam": Add the new WHO object to the rule (TO)
Mark Spam rule:
From:Anybody To:Valid Users When:Always What:Spam Action:Modify Spam Level, Quarantine

3. Add new rule: "Accept valid" (direction in, priority 77)
From:Anybody To:Valid Users When:Always What:Anything Action:Accept

4. Add new rule: "Block unknown" (direction in, priority 76)
From:Anybody To:Anybody When:Always What:Anything Action:Block

NOTE: take care and do testing after enabling these settings. Also I suggest to use the new feature in 1.7 when we release it,

Are there any instructions on using sendmail as there are for exchange for blocking invalid users?

Hi Michael,

Yes, its possible but not comfortable.

Better:
In version 1.7 (available in February 07) we implementet address verification to check this - enabling with just on click.

I suggest that you wait for this - by enabling this feature you can dramatically reduce e-mail traffic.

Sorry, we do not have a detailed configuration description for sendmail. But AFAIK you can use the access_db feature or use the Local_check_rcpt macro.

- Dietmar

address verification

Better:

Hi there. This morning I began testing v1.7 in non-production. It will replace a v1.5 that is currently handling up to 56,000 incoming emails per day.

I am interested in using the above feature in a non-ldap enviroment.
I must be blind, but I cannot find this setting?

v1.5 was great... and v1.7 seems even better!
Thank You,
BCT

never mind

Never Mind my previous post (just a few minutes ago).
I was looking for a feature named "address verification"
but I now see it is called "Verify Receivers"

Thanks again,
BCT

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!