Reinstall on new disk and restore ZFS Pool

spartan195

Nov 10, 2021
Greetings,

I have a ZFS pool of 4 HDD drives on my proxmox installation, the main proxmox OS is installed on a separated small ssd.

All my VM are still working, but I had to login today to modify the space of one of my lxc, but the GUI was not working.

I checked through the ssh shell and I've seen lot of errors on the proxy daemon, all of them are ReadOnly filesystem, well I guess my ssd is dead.

I cannot login into the GUI or modify any file or create a new backup. I'll buy a new ssd and reinstall Proxmox there. But my question is, even if all my data is on the ZFS pool, will I be able to restore this data al re-mount all my vms?

All my vms and backups are placed on the 4 HDD ZFS pool, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to re-mount this ZFS into the new proxmox installation.

Can someone confirm this? or if there's a method for that? Thanks a lot!

Last edited:
hi,

I cannot login into the GUI or modify any file or create a new backup. I'll buy a new ssd and reinstall Proxmox there. But my question is, even if all my data is on the ZFS pool, will I be able to restore this data al re-mount all my vms?
you should be able to mount the existing pool on your new installation. make sure you have a backup of your storage config /etc/pve/storage.cfg and other necessary configs for your VMs or containers (/etc/pve/qemu-server and /etc/pve/lxc). it makes sense to restore most of /etc directory as well (you should be hopefully able to read those from the read-only ssd)

Reactions: spartan195
hi,

you should be able to mount the existing pool on your new installation. make sure you have a backup of your storage config /etc/pve/storage.cfg and other necessary configs for your VMs or containers (/etc/pve/qemu-server and /etc/pve/lxc). it makes sense to restore most of /etc directory as well (you should be hopefully able to read those from the read-only ssd)
Okay I'll try to backup all possible files from /etc and mount the ZFS.

Thanks a lot Oguz!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!