reg motherboard and CPU

w3services

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,

I am using i5 2nd gen processor and wanted to replace or shift to i5 9th or 10th gen processor and board. Can I do it? Any challenges ?

Any challenges ?
You have to be more precise / supply more information ... In general, almost everything is possible in Linux and therefore also in PVE.

The biggest challenge would be the human factor, not the software, e.g. are you able to do it? (replace hardware without destroying it with ESD, moving the disk correctly, BIOS settings, converting from BIOS boot to UEFI boot if the mobo is UEFI-only etc.).

Proxmox (because of Linux) handles hardware changes quite well and you are not moving to the lvery atest generation, so you should not have problems with drivers.
Your new network device will have a different name on a new motherboard and you need to fix that (in /etc/network/interface) or you won't be able to access the Proxmox system (via SSH or web GUI).
Make sure to disable auto-start of all VMs that use PCI(e) passthrough before changing the motherboard, because most PCIe devices will have a different PCI ID. You'll also need to recheck your IOMMU groups before changing the PCIe passthrough accordingly. Hopefully your new motherboard&CPU have good groups and supports IOMMU.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!