Recreate Pool / without changing config

Ramalama

Dec 26, 2020
Hey, i have 2 Pools on PBS, one is HDD-SATA and the other is HDD-SAS.
PBS Backups already some VMs to HDD-SAS.

Can i simply temporarily move all files, simply with "rsync -avcr /HDD-SAS/* /HDD-SATA/blahbackup/" and recreate the HDD-SAS Pool? Then move the files back?

Or is there anything i need to investigate consider before?
I would simply stop the backup jobs for the time i need to recreate the pool.

What you guys think? Anyone did this already?

The reason is simply, that my SAS Drives support 512b Logical Block size and 4k...
And i want to change the SAS Drives to 4k, i forgot to do that in the first place with hdparm.
Simply to get a little more speed.

Cheers

Hey, i have 2 Pools on PBS, one is HDD-SATA and the other is HDD-SAS.
PBS Backups already some VMs to HDD-SAS.

Can i simply temporarily move all files, simply with "rsync -avcr /HDD-SAS/* /HDD-SATA/blahbackup/" and recreate the HDD-SAS Pool? Then move the files back?

Or is there anything i need to investigate consider before?
I would simply stop the backup jobs for the time i need to recreate the pool.

What you guys think? Anyone did this already?
Yes, it works.

But your command does not cover the important part. The data is under the folder .chunks. And there are the .gc-status and .lock files.
Just check with ls -la /HDD-SAS what is there.

Reactions: Ramalama
Yes, it works.

But your command does not cover the important part. The data is under the folder .chunks. And there are the .gc-status and .lock files.
Just check with ls -la /HDD-SAS what is there.
I found another way, maybe simpler, i just added a sync job in the settings of The second pool in PBS.
And i simply sync all the backups locally from one to the other pool/storage.

It looks like its faster to me this way, instead of copying trillions of small files in the .chunks folder xD

Reactions: Darkk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!