Recommended Setup for Opnsense Live Migration

Nov 13, 2021
Hi all,

I have 2 servers. Each have (1) 4 port NIC.

Currently running Opnsense on one of the servers with a fairly basic setup. Port 4 of this server connects to switch for VE management of other VMs on this server, port 3 not currently used except for local direct connection to Opnsense, port 2 is WAN and port 1 is LAN connected to uplink of switch.

I would like to configure these 2 servers in a cluster such that if I take one down for maintenance, the Opnsense VM will migrate to the other so my network will stay up (maybe a slight interrupt during migration). This is just my personal home network, so I plan to run a Raspberry PI as a Q-device to maintain expected votes for the cluster.

Is this setup possible with just (1) NIC in each server or would I need another in each?

How would the network or ports be setup between each server such that when the migration happens, the Opnsense VM maintains the LAN/WAN connections as it is expecting them? I only have one WAN connection from my modem directly connected to server 1, how would server 2 utitilze this in a migration event? Maybe WAN should be at the switch instead of directly to server1?

Sorry for the questions, just cant seem to find a good setup guide for a similar situation. Any info would be helpful.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!