Recommendation Request: Dual Node Shared Storage

dlasher

Renowned Member
Mar 23, 2011
Had a client request a fully redundant dual-node setup, and most of my experience has been either with single node (ZFS FTW) or lots of nodes (CEPH FTW). Neither of those things seem to work well in a dual node fully redundant setup.

Here's my thinking, wanted to see what the wisdom of the crowd suggested:

1. three machines - (1) Dedicated NAS - TrueNAS/etc, and (2) PMX boxes. Use either iSCSI or NFS
2. two machines - (2) PMX boxes, using DRBD and either LVM or ZFS on top. (seems to be a lot of gotchas in either of those)
3. two machines - (2) PMX boxes - use PMX replication for non-real-time copies of VM's to allow failover
4. some other option.

thoughts?

Technically Proxmox does not work well in dual node cluster either. A proper cluster requires 3 or more nodes (odd number).
You could run the vote as a Qdevice inside Truenas as container, so that could still be an option.
Since the customer asked for "redundant" setup, your option (1) only covers compute redundancy. The Storage/Network needs to be considered separately.

Likewise, option 2 also needs a 3rd node or Qdevice. The production support for DRBD is also something you need to investigate. Its fine for home lab. If this is something implemented for a client, that you are paid for, perhaps you have more of "provide supported solution" duty?

Again, 3rd node required for option 3. Will this client have a dedicated IT person available for replication management? Or are you taking that on?

4 Other options depend the budget and requirements around performance, redundancy, etc.

Good luck

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thanks, appreciate the clarification - that's kinda where I was thinking as well.

I would be taking on most of the support, however, any parts that require commercial licensing (including pmx and/or drbd) would be paid by the customer.

I do wish there was a good dual-node model, I think it would fit a nice niche in the small business model.. where people realize a single server is a point of failure, but don't want to build an entire cluster. And then as their business grows, the faith they've built in the dual-node paves the way for the 3/cluster/up model.

BTW, Love your products, looking forward to the day when I can price in their usage. :) Do you have a home lab/IT/small-business/etc type license available? Something one could run on their own hardware (like TrueNas) but learn the product?

Last edited:
I don't remember DRBD as a stable solution, so I wouldn't use that.

What exactly do you have in terms of hardware? Is there budget for additional components or can you only use what is there?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!