Rebuilding Node and Restoring VMs from PBS

znt

Jun 4, 2022
Situation: I had a hard drive fail on a single node (in a 10+ node cluster). The VMs on the node have been backed up to PBS. I can access the VM configs of the failed node, from other working nodes,= (e.g. /etc/pve/nodes/HOSTNAME_OF_FAILED_NODE/qemu-server/149.conf.

After digging through other forum posts, I'm hoping someone can help fill in some gaps.

0. Backup PVE config under (/etc/pve/nodes/HOSTNAME_OF_FAILED_NODE/) from a functional node.
1. Install new harddrive and install proxmox.
2. Delete old failed node from proxmox cluster. Then re-add the freshly built node to the cluster.
3. Restore PVE config (everything backed up in first step). Is it necessary to use `qm rescan` at this point (as mentioned here: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/boot-disk-failure-recovery.127071/)?
4. Restore VM volumes from PBS.

To be honest, I don't even mind manually recreating the VMs and restoring the VM data from PBS.

When searching the forums, I also saw references to others manually backing up everything in /etc/pve or using the proxmox backup client. Is that really necessary in cases like this, where I just want to recover a handful of VMs on a single failed node? It seems like that would only be necessary if I had a full cluster failure / cluster-wide configuration issue...?

Just make a fresh install of the node, maybe backup your /etc/network/interfaces file to save some time, because you can reuse it on the new server and load it with ifreload -a && service networking restart. Then add to cluster, make sure everything works, restore vms from pbs by browsing the backups via storage-view.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!