Rebooted Proxmox and getting grub screen with no information

jlobao86

Feb 8, 2024
Need help, new to proxmox as of about a week ago. Everything was good, was working for the last few hours to set up an ubuntu VM with a Cloudflare tunnel and Nextcloud. Converted my VM to a template, full cloned that template to a new VM.

Before starting that VM I decided to restart my Proxmox server as it had been a couple days since restarting it. After rebooting it, the web ui wasnt loading, plugged in a monitor and I get a GNU Grub page, but not the Grub Error page I see posted on various forums.

I've restarted several times, nothing. Only installed proxmox 8 like 9 days ago? Like I said everything was working great until I chose to reboot. Any help is appreciated.

---------------------Screen looks like: ---------------------------

GNU GRUB version 2.06-13+pmx1

Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported....

grub>

UPDATE: Still need help. I had two hard drives, one NVME ssd for boot and one HDD for bulk. Removed the HDD and BIOS is not recognizing my NVME boot drive. It's installed using a PCIE to NVME card with one NVME slot. Like I said, was working fine until I asked Prox to reboot and now there is no boot drive detected? But I cant even fresh install bc there is no storage device? My SSD is bricked?

But I cant even fresh install bc there is no storage device?
well boot to a gparted live and see what is going on with the disk.

if you post the mainboard and drive set up we might be able to recommend some configs that would make you setup process easier also.

Put the HD back in, grub probably has its file on that. if that boots we can fix it

Reactions: zedicus
Put the HD back in, grub probably has its file on that. if that boots we can fix it
it should be fixable by booting a debian installer and selecting rescue, doing a grub reinstall, also.

but he mentioned later that nothing was showing up at one point.

Thanks for the replies.

My machine isn't recognizing my boot drive, it's only recognizing my HDD. So the grub screen I was getting was coming from booting to my HDD which has no OS.

I have an NVME boot SSD installed using a PCIE to NVME card. Like I said, after removing my HDD, my BIOS says no drive found.
I have taken the NVME and adapter card out and put in another machine and it is recognized and boots. The ip's are all messed up so I cant access the web GUI of proxmox, but the drive isnt gone.

But no idea how I can get my server machine to recognize the drive/card. It was working perfectly for the past ten days.

Any thoughts?

it should be fixable by booting a debian installer and selecting rescue, doing a grub reinstall, also.

but he mentioned later that nothing was showing up at one point.
I went to fresh install proxmox on the HDD and within the graphical installer I can select my NVME sdd to overwrite. Just still cant access it from bios. Is there anything I can do to recover or move that install to my hdd? (without taking the HDD out of the case and moving machines?)

My NVME ssd shows in proxmox on the new hdd boot drive. Is there a way i can trick proxmox or grub to load into the nvme drive instead of the hdd

My NVME ssd shows in proxmox on the new hdd boot drive. Is there a way i can trick proxmox or grub to load into the nvme drive instead of the hdd

yes:
make sure no extra HDD or SSD is connected other than the NVME with proxmox.
get the debian installer and put it on something and boot to it.
select advanced options
select rescue mode
you can mostly select the defaults until you get to 'device to use as root file system' there hopefully will only be one, if not, get a pic and maybe we can help you guess.
after you select the correct root system and press enter, the very next screen will have an option to reinstall GRUB. Select it and pending success, reboot, remove the installer, and grub should see proxmox again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!