Read Only Hosts?

MACscr

Mar 19, 2013
I am using ceph for my storage for the VM's and another NFS server for templates/isos, etc, but the proxmox hosts OS's are currently being booted through iscsi. To improve stability and easier maintenance, I would like to have the proxmox host os images only be readable. Is this at all possible? What all does proxmox really need to write to on a day to day basis? I know there is the /etc/pve folder, but couldn't that be an nfs mount? My regular logging is to a remote logstash server.

/etc/pve afaik is the Proxmox cluster file-system, where it e.g. synchronizes the Cluster config files and what not.

What we at work to provide ISO/images/templates to our proxmox-nodes is this:
  • Create openmediavault.
  • create vdisk on EC-pool
  • Share storage via NFS

I already have shared storage, not concerned about that and i know what /etc/pve is used for....

I want my proxmox hosts to have read only file system. What paths ARE required to be written to by proxmox? Is this idea even feasible.

I want my proxmox hosts to have read only file system. What paths ARE required to be written to by proxmox? Is this idea even feasible.
Oh i get it now.

you want to make your Proxmox Base install read-only ?
- What about log-files,
- What about changes done via GUI ? (should go into /etc/pve)
- What about network changes ?
- What about updates ?
- what about time synchronisation ?

ps.: You using pveceph or just normal ceph install ?

Lemme ask you this:
What is the reason you want your Nodes-OS be read only - as i what are you trying to prevent ?

I know there is the /etc/pve folder, but couldn't that be an nfs mount?
What do you mean by this exactly ?
You wanna put /etc/pve on a remote NFS-Share ??

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!