Random 4k read and write slow

Apr 11, 2023
Canada
I installed in a an HP Gen 10 with 512Gb of RAMM and dual Gold CPU a LQD3000 card (4 Commercial Samsung Disk of 1.92Tb). I then made a RAID10 (using the 4x1.92Tb) Giving me around 3.70TB). When I do Crystal Mark speed test in a Windows VM (and the Virtuo Drivers have been installed) I get really slow random read/write speed. Is there something I am missing for configuration or that I should change in the machines configuration?

Attachments

• Crytal_Data.png
    Crytal_Data.png
    253.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Machine_Specs.png
    Machine_Specs.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Samsung_NVME.png
    Samsung_NVME.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Raid10.png
    Raid10.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 11
What model are the disks? It is a well-known fact that for both virtualization workloads and ZFS, commercial disks can get very slow really quick.

zfs require datacenter grade ssd with PLP which secure the ssd cache to get performance.

zfs require datacenter grade ssd with PLP which secure the ssd cache to get performance.
The Liqid Element PCIe Add-In-Card (AIC) features high dense capacity and extreme performance for mission critical and performance-demanding workloads. It is an ultra-thin, standard form factor half-height half-length (HHHL) card that works seamlessly with systems that have existing PCIe slots. This makes the Element AIC ideal for deployment in data center and enterprise applications.The Element AIC offers a Gen 3.0 x8 PCIe interface, which enables high-throughput and low-latency transactions. It utilizes the latest NVMe protocol in order to deliver increased performance and efficiency from a single device. The AIC outperforms legacy architectures by delivering 1.25 M IOPS of random performance, over 7 GB/s of throughput and ultra-low transactional latency of 20 μs

please try test with:

zfs set atime=off relatime=off compression=off sync=disabled <yourpool>

Add to /etc/kernel/cmdline (or /etc/default/grub):
......... pcie_aspm=off intel_idle.max_cstate=0 intel_pstate=disable processor.max_cstate=1 mitigations=off

#update-grub
#update-initramfs -u -k all
#reboot

The Liqid Element PCIe Add-In-Card (AIC)....
is just the card which just passthrough the real ssd which are fast only within their unsecure cache which ZFS can't fully use. (sorry for my poor english wording).
ssd like Samsung PM9A3 is ready for zfs.

Reactions: JSChasle
please try test with:

zfs set atime=off relatime=off compression=off sync=disabled <yourpool>

Add to /etc/kernel/cmdline (or /etc/default/grub):
......... pcie_aspm=off intel_idle.max_cstate=0 intel_pstate=disable processor.max_cstate=1 mitigations=off

#update-grub
#update-initramfs -u -k all
#reboot
Hi will try it in off hours and after a backup (since 2 critical machines are being used during the day). Thanks for the input :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!