raid1 question..

mystique

May 26, 2013
Morning all, Not related to proxmox per se, but I had a dns issue this morning and found that I had an old proxmox machine that I forgot that I had, with (of course) important DNS servers on it.. apt-get all went well.. but in my usual paranoia did a dmesg and check the /var/log/messages before rebooting (remotely) and I found that......Descriptor sense data with sense descriptors (in hex): 72 0b 14 00 00 00 00 0c 00 0a 80 00 00 00 00 00 00 04 97 basd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Add. Sense: Recorded entity not foundsd 0:0:0:0: [sda] CDB: Write(10): 2a 00 00 04 97 ba 00 00 b0 00ata1: EH completeRAID1 conf printout: --- wd:1 rd:2 disk 0, wo:1, o:0, dev:sda1 disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:sdb1RAID1 conf printout: --- wd:1 rd:2 disk 1, wo:0, o:1, dev:sdb1...cat /proc/mdstatPersonalities : [raid1]md1 : active raid1 sda2[2](F) sdb2[1] 243672952 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]md0 : active raid1 sda1[2](F) sdb1[1] 523252 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U](love the F..)So what is the linux command to check that it will boot from sdb.. I agree that grub-install /dev/sda && echo $? && grub-install /dev/sdb && echo $? && update-grub && echo $? should all work.. but how do I *check* that it will actually boot.. (is there a way?)Other than physically testing..Thanks in advance.(formatting is not sticking I am sorry for the air being removed from the post..)

Hi,
your boot-device in grub is md0 or sda1/sdb1 (I assume the root-device is md1)? Or do you use for grub on sda sda1 and on sdb sdb1? Then depends also if the first disk do anything . if they are dead, sdb becomes sda...

And you havn't testet the boot with one disk only?

The next question is, what the bios do with an unhealthy boot-disks - perhaps you don't have a chance to boot the second disk becourse first the failed one will used...
With an kvm you can switch the bios settings and you can also edit the grub-parameters.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!