RAID on Proxmox VE 1.7

M

mcvills

Hello. Brand new Proxmox user here - love the software Open Source Rocks!!!

I recently configured a brand new server with Proxmox VE 1.7. I did installed it on a 500GB drive. The server has a 3ware 9650SE-8LPML with 2 x 1TB drives. If I issue tw_cli /c0 show drivestatus I can see the RAID-1 931.51GB. However on the Proxmox web site I cannot add this to install VMs.

I appreciate any help on this matter.

Thank you.

Welcome here!

I do not get your storage hardware setup. pls give all details, where is the 500 GB connected?

If you got two hard disks/volumes (500 GB and 931GB) you can choose which volume is taken for the installation. if you choose the first one (500GB) the second one is untouched. you can/need to configure the second disk after installation - maybe this link can help: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model#LVM_Groups_with_Local_Backing

just configure the storage for your needs. do you want to store container´s or KVM guests? how do plan to backup? single server or do you plan to setup a cluster?

so a lot of possibilities :)

The 500GB is just for Proxmox.

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/pve-root 95G 851M 89G 1% /
tmpfs 5.9G 0 5.9G 0% /lib/init/rw
udev 10M 588K 9.5M 6% /dev
tmpfs 5.9G 0 5.9G 0% /dev/shm
/dev/mapper/pve-data 349G 195M 349G 1% /var/lib/vz
/dev/sdb1 504M 31M 448M 7% /boot
proxmox:~#

For the storage I have 2 x 1TB on RAID 1 already configured to store containers or KVMs. About the backup I can add this to our backup server. This will not be a cluster.
VPort Status Unit Size Type Phy Encl-Slot Model
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
p0 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 0 - WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7
p1 OK u0 931.51 GB SATA 1 - WDC WD1003FBYX-01Y7

proxmox:~#

I know they are a lot of possibilities reasons why I decided to ask the question.

Thank you.

KVM supports multiple storages, OpenVZ just one. So you need to decide how much you need for your OpenVZ containers as its hard to change this later.

The default setup mounts /dev/mapper/pve-data to /var/lib/vz (this is the default local storage for KVM disk images and OpenVZ).

Are you familiar with LVM?

No I am not familiar, but I could find some info about how to setup LVM. The company I work for assign me this project to get familiar with virtualization and to look later on the possibility of clusters. The proposed server to get virtualized is Exchange Server 2003. Now if I decide to assign 300GB to VZS and the rest to KVMs is this possible? Should I configure LVM first and then Proxmox VE should be able to see these as a storage?

Thank you Tom for your help.

No I am not familiar, but I could find some info about how to setup LVM. The company I work for assign me this project to get familiar with virtualization and to look later on the possibility of clusters. The proposed server to get virtualized is Exchange Server 2003. Now if I decide to assign 300GB to VZS and the rest to KVMs is this possible? Should I configure LVM first and then Proxmox VE should be able to see these as a storage?

Thank you Tom for your help.
Hi,
if i understand you right, you have allready local storage (for OpenVZ, or kvm-images) on the single disk.
If you want to use the Raid-volume (expect not to much performance from a raid-1, it's only savety) for lvm-storage (kvm) and OpenVZ you have some choices.
1. Partition the raid-volume - one for /var/lib/vz, the other partition for lvm-storage
create a filesystem (ext3) on the first raid-partition, copy the content of /var/lib/vz to the new partition and change /etc/fstab and remount.
But i don't know if you run in trouble because snapshots for backup don't work on the new filesystem (it's not lvm-based). But you can also create an new volume-group for var/lib/vz (leave min. 4G free in the vg for backup).

2. Partition the raid-volume - one for volumegroup pve (root, swap, data (which is /var/lib/vz), the other for lvm-storage.
extend volumegroup pve with the first raidpartition. Move the logical volumes root, swap, and data to the raid-disk (make the single disk unused). Remove the single disk from vg pve. Then you can use this space for backup. All important data are on raid! Only mbr and /boot will remain on the single disk.

3. A mixing of vg-pve with single disk and raiddisk is risky, because you don't know what you loose if the hd fails.

There are other posibilities...

Create on the second raid-pasrtition an volumegoup and then you can add this vg in the storage-section of the proxmox-ve gui.

Udo

Hi,

Thank you udo for providing your input and expertise on this thread. If I understood what you said the best scenario is to use the single disk for Proxmox ve only and have a SAN/NAS to storage the VZs and KVMs? Will this scenario be more secure for the data? The ultimate goal will be to have a cluster setup. However I was told as a test to verify reliability to only virtualize Exchange Server 2003. What you will suggest for RAID on the SAN/NAS? Could you please provide me with more possibilities? I do not want to be in a position of losing the server and entire organization without email service.

Thank you.

Mcvills

Hi,

Thank you udo for providing your input and expertise on this thread. If I understood what you said the best scenario is to use the single disk for Proxmox ve only and have a SAN/NAS to storage the VZs and KVMs? Will this scenario be more secure for the data? The ultimate goal will be to have a cluster setup. However I was told as a test to verify reliability to only virtualize Exchange Server 2003. What you will suggest for RAID on the SAN/NAS? Could you please provide me with more possibilities? I do not want to be in a position of losing the server and entire organization without email service.

Thank you.

Mcvills
Hi,
to be sure to save all data in case of a harddisk issue, you should use a corresponding raid-level for all important data. This is the reason why i suggest to use the single disk only for boot (this can be annoying enough) and the raid-1 for the proxmox-host and vm-data.
Of course you can use a SAN for the KVM-VMs (OpenVZ need local storage; but you can use a sandisk too as local-storage). BTW. Check the IO-speed of the SAN; there are some differences (FC,iSCSI... depends on your usage).
With shared storage (SAN, or DRDB between two nodes) you can use live migration with kvm-guests (the guest vm will not be copied, only the config file and the memory content).
OpenVZ guest will allways copied the whole data of the VM (and memory + config).

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!