Raid on a directory

DjFin

Jan 8, 2024
So I'm trying to setup a backup solution for my server by using two 2tb hard drives and I want to use raid on them so that its mirrored onto each other. I can create a ZFS drive on them but I'm unable to assign them to be used for the directory, Is there a way to use the drives as storage for backups? The raid is software-based through proxmox, I do not have them setup in the bios to do so.

Hi,
you can create a new datastore backed by a ZFS based storage on empty disks directly via the PBS web interface. Navigate to Administration > Storage/Disks > ZFS > Create: ZFS, select the disks to use and the desired RAID level and make sure Add as Datastore is checked. This will format the disks and create a ZFS filesystem mounted as datastore storage.

Edit: Fixed typo

I am able to get to this point but I don't see an option to add as datastore:
1704770350426.png1704770303587.png

I am able to get to this point but I don't see an option to add as datastore:
View attachment 61041View attachment 61040
What is your Proxmox Backup Server version, proxmox-backup-manager version --verbose? Note that this has to be done on the PBS side, not the Proxmox VE side. Or are you trying to setup a storage on a Proxmox VE?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!