Questions about LVM / MDRAID

twister988

Feb 10, 2012
Hello together.

First, i want to introduce myself.
My Name is Ralph, i am 23 years old and i live in Kerpen (near Cologne) in Germany.

I have made some experiences with Proxmox in Home-Use since Version 1.6 to learn something about hardware-virtualization.

I began with a small 2-Core System, 3GB RAM, 120GB HDD for Proxmox-System an vmdk´s and 1,5TB HDD for Storage within a VM (LVM).

Now, i am on a Intel Core i5 2500k with 16GB RAM, 120GB HDD for Proxmox System, 1,5TB HDD for Storage (as written before) and 2x500GB Samsung S-ATAII HDDs @mdraid0 for vmdk´s. Proxmox is NOT installed on MDRAID0!

I just set up a number of VM´s they are running quite fine.
But: I created an extra virtual HDD for my Backup-Server (Cache before writing on Tape) with the size of 200GB and i see a poor performance when formatting the "cache-hdd" within the VM (mkfs.ext4 /dev/vdb1) - it lasts now for over 40 Minutes and is still on writing inode-tables (1300/1600).

Is that poor performance caused by MDRAID0?
Is there a way to improve performance?
-> Maybe LVM Striping - is that supported?
-> in VM.conf: cache=no maybe?

Are there any Pro´s/Con´s to LVM compared to MDRAID, except the simple managing of storage in LVM (what would be a big reason to switch from mdraid to lvm...)?

Or are there any other suggestions, except of buying more HDDs?

PS:
When VM´s are not on load, pveperf gets about 260mb/s on mdraid0

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Kind regards,
Ralph!

Hi Ralph,
IO is often the bottleneck on virtualisation. I have some experience with software-raids but not on pve.
The pve-staff don't support software-raids and i guess i know why - but on the other side have both (software versus hardware raid) pros and cons. I have also see hardware raids which are (much) slower than software raids (lsi on sun hardware - crappy things).

You use your disk as stripe? Be aware, most data are importand enough to be secured against single disk failures (this speak also again lvm-stripping).
500GB Samsung? Sounds not like a very fast disk - perhaps this is one bottleneck?

Are there other IOs on the device?
How looks pveperf on the md-device (if you create an lv with filesystem and mount that on the host)?

BTW. Backup-client and cache-disk. Backup need much IO, which isn't the power of kvm (need cpu-power too).
I have an backup-server running on openvz, which is running fast (can support the lto-4 drives with 100 MB/s from the cache disks). With kvm is the same not so easy!

Udo

Last edited:
Hi Udo and thanks for your answer.

Now the qoute-mania begins :D

Hi Ralph,
IO is often the bottleneck on virtualisation. I have some experience with software-raids but not on pve.
The pve-staff don't support software-raids and i guess i know why - but on the other side have both (software versus hardware raid) pros and cons. I have also see hardware raids which are (much) slower than software raids (lsi on sun hardware - crappy things).

So there is no diference between LVM and MDRAID? I guess both are "Software-RAID" for you, right?

You use your disk as stripe? Be aware, most data are importand enough to be secured against single disk failures (this speak also again lvm-stripping).
500GB Samsung? Sounds not like a very fast disk - perhaps this is one bottleneck?

Are there other IOs on the device?
How looks pveperf on the md-device (if you create an lv with filesystem and mount that on the host)?

I wouldn´t say, it is slow:
PVEPERF on md0, where also the vmdk´s are:
Code:
proxmox:~# pveperf /dev/md0
CPU BOGOMIPS:      26476.90
REGEX/SECOND:      1298876
HD SIZE:           916.90 GB (/dev/md0)
BUFFERED READS:    251.20 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 14.22 ms

HDPARM on single disks:
Code:
proxmox:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sdc

/dev/sdc:
 Timing cached reads:   21980 MB in  2.00 seconds = 11000.98 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  404 MB in  3.01 seconds = 134.23 MB/sec
proxmox:~# hdparm -tT /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
 Timing cached reads:   21794 MB in  2.00 seconds = 10907.67 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:  402 MB in  3.01 seconds = 133.41 MB/sec

dd´s on md0:

Code:
proxmox:~# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/proxmox-raid0-vms/dd.img [B]bs=1M count=2k[/B] conv=fdatasync
2048+0 records in
2048+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 10.5349 s, 204 MB/s

real    0m10.783s
user    0m0.002s
sys     0m1.881s

proxmox:~# time dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/proxmox-raid0-vms/dd.img [B]bs=1k count=2M[/B] conv=fdatasync
2097152+0 records in
2097152+0 records out
2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 11.4826 s, 187 MB/s

real    0m11.734s
user    0m0.161s
sys     0m3.689s

BTW. Backup-client and cache-disk. Backup need much IO, which isn't the power of kvm (need cpu-power too).
I have an backup-server running on openvz, which is running fast (can support the lto-4 drives with 100 MB/s from the cache disks). With kvm is the same not so easy!

Well, i have just an old LTO-1 drive with a wide-SCSI-Conrtoller... i think, kvm can handle speeds around 15-20MB/s nor?

Kind regards,

Ralph

Hi Udo and thanks for your answer.

Now the qoute-mania begins :D
right ;) - but I shorten some things.
So there is no diference between LVM and MDRAID? I guess both are "Software-RAID" for you, right?
Of course there are differences, but software raid-0 is comparable to lvm-striping.
I wouldn´t say, it is slow:
PVEPERF on md0, where also the vmdk´s are:
Code:
proxmox:~# pveperf /dev/md0
CPU BOGOMIPS:      26476.90
REGEX/SECOND:      1298876
BUFFERED READS:    251.20 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 14.22 ms
right, that's looks good, but how are the fsyncs/s? And the average seek time is a little bit high.
Well, i have just an old LTO-1 drive with a wide-SCSI-Conrtoller... i think, kvm can handle speeds around 15-20MB/s nor?
Right - 20 MB/s is no problem. OpenVZ has the effort of an smaller footprint, but with kvm you are more flexible...

Udo

right, that's looks good, but how are the fsyncs/s? And the average seek time is a little bit high.

Thats a good question.
after the seek Time, pveperf aborts with an Syntax error on line 86 iirc.
what does that mean?

i am on Mobile now, so i can not Check...

Ralph

Hi again.
I tried pveperf once more, after i read the information, that pveperf needs a mounted filesystem to work correctly:
Information: MD0 had file-system ext4... i read something about that ext4 has bad performance compared to ext3.

Code:
proxmox:~# pveperf /mnt/proxmox-raid0-vms
CPU BOGOMIPS:      26476.20
REGEX/SECOND:      1339785
BUFFERED READS:    223.81 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 16.41 ms
[B]FSYNCS/SECOND:     51.98[/B]
DNS EXT:           82.33 ms
DNS INT:           0.41 ms (xxxxx.local)

FSYNCS were very, very slow imho. i guess that was the issue for my low (freezy) performance.
So after that result i decided to switch from mdadm to lvm2.
I stopped all vm´s, backupped the vmdks, stopped and deleted the array, deleted the partitions via fdisk, uninstalled mdadm and did following to create a striped volume group with two logical volumes over 2 hdd´s:

Code:
pvecreate /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
vgcreate lvm_stripe /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
lvcreate -i2 -I4 --size 700G -n virtual_disks lvm_stripe /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
lvcreate -i2 -I4 --size 200G -n backup lvm_stripe /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
mkfs.ext3 /dev/lvm_stripe/virtual_disks
mkfs.ext3 /dev/lvm_stripe/backup
tune2fs -r 0 /dev/lvm_stripe/virtual_disks
tune2fs -r 0 /dev/lvm_stripe/backup
echo /dev/lvm_stripe/virtual_disks /mnt/proxmox-lvm_stripe-vms ext3 defaults 0 1 >> /etc/fstab
echo /dev/lvm_stripe/backup /mnt/proxmox-lvm_stripe-backup ext3 defaults 0 1 >> /etc/fstab
mount -a

two stripe-volumes (-i2)
stripe-size (-I4) of 4k is good, i think.

Summary:
- created volume group via LVM
- created two logical volumes, striped over two identical hard-disks
- filesystem ext3 (md0 had ext4)
- mounted logical volumes
- added Storages -> Directory via Web-GUI
- copied vmdks back to logical volume for virtual_disks.
- started all kvms - it worked... YES!
- backup-kvm got the logical volume "backup" as second hard drive.

Finally, everthing worked as before, so i tried pveperf a few times more...
I was very surprised, when i saw THIS:

Code:
proxmox:~# pveperf /mnt/proxmox-lvm_stripe-vms
CPU BOGOMIPS:      26476.20
REGEX/SECOND:      1339785
HD SIZE:           689.02 GB (/dev/mapper/lvm_stripe-virtual_disks)
BUFFERED READS:    253.82 MB/sec
AVERAGE SEEK TIME: 12.37 ms
[B]FSYNCS/SECOND:     1631.98[/B]
DNS EXT:           77.36 ms
DNS INT:           0.32 ms (xxxxx.local)

I think, it is not a bad result for two 7200upm S-ATA 300 HDDs.

I will test it a few more days and will report again!

We will see, but i guess mdadm was the main problem here...

Kind regards from Germany,
Ralph

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!