Questions about disk config

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi
I was wondering if someone could shed some light,
Currently normally i would configure VirtIO SCSI but i have read that using VirtIO SCSI single is better?
as for the bus device i normally use SCSI but should i change to VirtIO? while running ZFS on proxmox?

Normally i would run something like this attaching photo, I was reading also on IO thread sometimes the VM gets locked up not sure if its recommended to use at the moment?
as for the SSD emulation i assume only checkmark if running SSD on proxmox?

Thank you

1701920296794.png

Currently normally i would configure VirtIO SCSI but i have read that using VirtIO SCSI single is better?
Normally i would run something like this attaching photo, I was reading also on IO thread sometimes the VM gets locked up not sure if its recommended to use at the moment?
VirtIO SCSI SIngle with IO thread enabled is currently recommended for best performance.
as for the SSD emulation i assume only checkmark if running SSD on proxmox?
No, you enable SSD emulation if you want the operating systems inside the VM to see the virtual disk as an SSD.

EDIT: More details can be found in the manual: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#qm_configuration

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply, so the Bus/device i should use VirtIO instead of scsi?
as for the SSD emulation would it be recommended? to enable it ?

Thank you

Thank you so much for the reply, so the Bus/device i should use VirtIO instead of scsi?
No, use "VirtIO SCSI Single" as the (virtual) SCSI controller and attach the virtual disks to the (virtual) SCSI bus.
as for the SSD emulation would it be recommended? to enable it ?
Do you want the operating system inside the VM to see an SSD or a HDD?

On the other hand, SMR HDDs or thin-provisioned storages on HDDs require trimming too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!