Question about restoring from backup (not Backup Server)

Amodin

Jun 14, 2023
I wanted to know about backup and restore of a VM (or container), as I am evaluating a plan to create a cluster for my two NUC devices both running Proxmox. So, I wanted to do this after the fact, which requires me not to have VMs to join a cluster.

If I make a backup of the VMs (option on the left under each VM) but delete the VM, doesn't it also delete the backup I made as it's tied to that VM? So, would I need to move them off of Proxmox if that's the case, or at least to another drive before deleting? Then I am guessing creating a new VM, and restoring it from that backup taken.

The docs really just center around backing up and restoring what is existing, but not really replacing from scratch, so I just wanted to be sure about anything before I would think of joining to a cluster and I'm not even really sure that's the option I want to go. I would only want to do this for more of management than anything else, as I have one Proxmox for my system type things, such as Home Assistant, Pi-hole, and network monitoring, and my second one as an application host, for my private servers and recipe management host (so I like food!)

Thanks for any info.

If I make a backup of the VMs (option on the left under each VM) but delete the VM, doesn't it also delete the backup I made as it's tied to that VM?
Deleting the VM won't remove the backup. You can still restore that Backup from your backup storages backup tab and it will create a new VM if it isn't existing.

Then I am guessing creating a new VM, and restoring it from that backup taken.
You don't need to create a new VM first.

I would also recommend to set up two PBS VMs/LXCs syncing each other. Wastes waaaay less space because of deduplication and backups of VMs are much faster in case your PVE nodes run 24/7 as it then supports incremental backups.

Deleting the VM won't remove the backup. You can still restore that Backup from your backup storages backup tab and it will create a new VM if it isn't existing.

You don't need to create a new VM first.

I would also recommend to set up two PBS VMs/LXCs syncing each other. Wastes waaaay less space because of deduplication and backups of VMs are much faster in case your PVE nodes run 24/7 as it then supports incremental backups.
Okay thanks. I don't think I'll be able to get full functionality of the cluster manager due to lack of NIC interfaces (if I am reading this correctly) and might not be able to do any sync. It's really just trying to manage the two servers under one interface. I have plenty of network storage that I could copy to though if that is possible.

The mission critical server running I do keep backups offloaded to my NAS through their own backup methods currently so if I do happen to lose anything in Proxmox, I can recover, but yes I agree that sync option would be easier.

Reactions: Darkk

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!