Question about migrating VM storage from local to lvm

A

AYP

I want to migrate to lvm because of snapshot backups, which right now I can't perform. I already found pointers to the docs/forum in which it is recommended that I backup the VMs while they are offline then restore them on the new lvm. This is straightforward for all of them except one. This one VM has a second virtual disk stored remotely on an iscsi target, this second disk is quite big as it holds most user files. It's not entirely clear to me if this second disk will or will not be included in the backup which would probably mean that during the restore it would be restored on the new lvm storage, which I'd like to avoid: the second disk should stay in its iscsi target as it is now.

Should I detach the disk from the vm, backup, restore and finally re-attach the disk to the vm?
Since I don't have the hardware to perform tests I need to be very careful and understand very well what I'm going to do.

Thank you very much.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!