Query host info for motd from VM

I don't know if this is easy or not for you, but you could generate a list of VMs running on your cluster via the API and export this as json to a webserver and query it from your script.
Or create a PVE user with r/o (limited) permissions, generate an authtoken and send request directly to PVE, process the output and show the outcome.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

no, because the hypervisor polls the agent in the VM, the agent does not push random data.
Its also considered "bad" for a tenant in the infrastructure to know anything about underlying "cloud". It should be transparent to the tenant, so the manager of the cloud can change things at will.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Reactions: jeffrey_233
You can adjust much of the /sys/class/dmi/id/* values on the host. Never tried, but they probably wouldn't be updated when you moved the vm to a different host unless you rebooted the vm.

You could push a message to the QEMU Guest agent, and probably put it in a crontab to run every minute or whatever so it is updated a little bit after you move it.

You may have to remove any blacklist from /etc/sysconfig/qemu-ga (el8 clones, locations/etc depends on distro), but can then do something like
for vm in $( qm list | awk '{ if ( $3=="running" ) { print $1 } }' ) ; do
qm guest exec $vm /root/messagefromhost "As of $( date), you are vmid=$vm running on $( hostname )"
done

Then put a simple script in /root/messagefromhost to store the message "$1" passed in the argument that your motd script can read.

Obviously there are potential security implications to this, especially removing the execute blacklist and it does create a background load pushing the updates.

If you have ssh keys on your host to each guest, you could simply have the host scp a file to each of it's guests.

Reactions: bbgeek17
This information is not exposed.

I don't know if this is easy or not for you, but you could generate a list of VMs running on your cluster via the API and export this as json to a webserver and query it from your script.

Is it just me but I found even the idea of putting API on the same VLAN as any VM extremely bad architecture. Here the suggestion above would be much more sensible model.

Is it just me but I found even the idea of putting API on the same VLAN as any VM extremely bad architecture. Here the suggestion above would be much more sensible model.
Sure it's bad, yet it'll solves the problem OP asked. Having the Hypervisor and its guests in any way via network reachable could also be consided a "bad architecture", so none of the presented network-based solutions would work. Having stuff executed inside a guest by a hypervisor is also a no-go in my book.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!