quad core intel

tommyd

Jul 11, 2008
I'm running on an intel q6600 quad core with 8 gigs ram with 2 500gig sata drives and am currently installing Windows 2008 SBS as a VM.
Is there a way to assign a particular core (1 of 4) to a specific VM ?
Also I currently have 2 SATA 500gig hard drives installed and I believe Proxmox is only using 1 of these drives. Is it possible to add the second 500 gig to proxmox ?:p

I'm running on an intel q6600 quad core with 8 gigs ram with 2 500gig sata drives and am currently installing Windows 2008 SBS as a VM.
Is there a way to assign a particular core (1 of 4) to a specific VM ?
Also I currently have 2 SATA 500gig hard drives installed and I believe Proxmox is only using 1 of these drives. Is it possible to add the second 500 gig to proxmox ?:p

Hi,
thanks for posting. just for information, what OS do you install? win 2008 SBS is not released, which version do you try?

to your question:
the current release just use 1 cpu for KVM guests. the second beta of Proxmox VE can do more, we are already in the testing cycle and we will release soon.

2nd HDD:
is not used by the installer and for images. for testing just use one, but for production you should only go with a hardware raid controller (e.g. using raid1)

I have an eval version of SBS2008 downloaded from microsoft.
I currently have 4 VMs. Windows 2003 Ent server, 2 Xp sp3 Vms and Kubuntu 8-04beta. SBS2008 requires a minimum of 4 gigs ram and 40gigs of hard drive space, a real resource hog.

the current release just use 1 cpu for KVM guests. the second beta of Proxmox VE can do more, we are already in the testing cycle and we will release soon.

Wow - didn't expect that kind of functionality so soon!

Well, there are still stability issues when using more CPUs with WinXP. So it is not clear if we enable that feature in the next release (still testing)

Well, most of us Proxmox-users can read ... why don't you just print a special XP-Warning at the appropriate dialog box - with a further hint to some documentation.

Because 9 of 10 users ignore such warnings.

- Dietmar

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!