qmrestore tar: Unexpected EOF in archive / vzdump fixes (qmrestore) in proxmox 2.0

mkoch

Jun 11, 2012
I'm using proxmox 1.9 and snapshot backups. This works perfectly for almost all of my VMs, but there's one VM for which the backup fails. The only difference between the VM for which the backup fails and all the other VMs is, that the HDD of this VM is particularly large (350 GB of 750 GB used, the largest HDD on the other VMs has 60 GB).

The backup for this VM shows no error in the log-file but the resulting tar-file is damaged. When trying to restore from the tar-file using qmrestore the error "tar: Unexpected EOF in archive" is shown. I also checked the tars using 'tar tf file.tar', which leads to the same error.

I tried this a couple of times with different snapshot backups of this VM, always with the same result. All backups of other VMs (which are located on the same NFS share) are perfectly fine.

I'm thinking about updating to proxmox 2.1 since the changelog states "vzdump fixes (qmrestore)". Can anybody provide some details about what has been fixed with respect to qmrestore?

Regards, Michael

Re: qmrestore tar: Unexpected EOF in archive / vzdump fixes (qmrestore) in proxmox 2.

I tried this a couple of times with different snapshot backups of this VM, always with the same result. All backups of other VMs (which are located on the same NFS share) are perfectly fine.

Does it work when you backup to a local storage instead of NFS?

I'm thinking about updating to proxmox 2.1 since the changelog states "vzdump fixes (qmrestore)". Can anybody provide some details about what has been fixed with respect to qmrestore?

Those fixes are unrelated to your problem.

Re: qmrestore tar: Unexpected EOF in archive / vzdump fixes (qmrestore) in proxmox 2.

Does it work when you backup to a local storage instead of NFS?
I'll try this tonight. I have the suspicion that by default proxmox mounts NFS shares using UDP and there may be some packet loss on the network.

Those fixes are unrelated to your problem.
So I'll stick with proxmox 1.9 until my backups are fixed.

Thanks for your help,

Michael

Using TCP didn't help. Also I updated to 2.1. I'm now backing up to the local HDD and moving the backup after it finished...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!