qmrestore error

Q

qwertypop3

hi folks, proxmox newbie here. please bear with me.

I am trying to restore a KVM snapshot but when I used this command:

qmrestore vzdump-qemu-103-2011_01_20-23_27_17.tgz 103

it just gives me an error:

ERROR: restore QemuServer backup 'vzdump-qemu-103-2011_01_20-23_27_17.tgz' failed - unable to restore VM '103' - VM already exists

I have also tried using the --storage:

qmrestore --storage local vzdump-qemu-103-2011_01_20-23_27_17.tgz 103

but it also gives the same error.
can anyone advise what I'm doing wrong? vm has been stop.
I even tried deleting the original vm image but same error.

by the way, I'm running the above commands in the directory where the snapshots are stored and using the root account.

thanks!

the error is clear, 103 exists. use another VMID.
(or check /etc/qemu-server/ for any 103.xxx files and also /var/lib/vz/images/103/...)

the error is clear, 103 exists. use another VMID.
(or check /etc/qemu-server/ for any 103.xxx files and also /var/lib/vz/images/103/...)

hi tom, do you mean I cannot restore back to the same VMID?

I should restore to another VMID then kill the 103 one?
is that what you mean?

thanks!

hi tom, I think I got it. to restore back to the same VMID,
you have to remove references to the VM in 2 places:

(1) /etc/qemu-server/
remove any related {VMID}.conf file

(2) /var/lib/vz/images/{VMID}
remove any related VMID image file

thanks alot!

When i do a qm destroy 103, answer is VM is locked (backup). I tried from the web admin to do a remove on this stopped vm which does not want to start and nothing is removed. Then i rebooted promox which is, i agree, a violent approach :) and tried again, nothing changed so impossible to restore. If someone has an idea... it's welcome.

When i do a qm destroy 103, answer is VM is locked (backup). I tried from the web admin to do a remove on this stopped vm which does not want to start and nothing is removed. Then i rebooted promox which is, i agree, a violent approach :) and tried again, nothing changed so impossible to restore. If someone has an idea... it's welcome.
qm unlock <vmid>

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!