qemu-kvm-extras / qemu-system-arm / raspberry pi under ProxMox2.x

just a slight correction - pve-qemu-kvm / qemu-server are not able to do that yet.

yet implies you're working on that? I know that you guys are working on ARM64 in general as a host platform, yet I was not aware of cross architecture emulation.

yet implies you're working on that? I know that you guys are working on ARM64 in general as a host platform, yet I was not aware of cross architecture emulation.

we are working on (native) ARM64, and once we have machine models for that integrated into qemu-server, enabling at least cross amd64<->arm(...) emulation is almost free and nice to have for testing - so I don't see a reason not to.

inclusion of other platforms/architecture probably depends on whether someone is willing to do do the work, and how much increase in complexity and future maintenance burden it causes.

note that reworking the whole config to qemu command line code has been a WIP refactor for some time, so it probably makes sense to coordinate / wait for that if any of you wants to do work in that area (I know at least @stappers already started some related discussions on pve-devel :))

we are working on (native) ARM64, and once we have machine models for that integrated into qemu-server, enabling at least cross amd64<->arm(...) emulation is almost free and nice to have for testing - so I don't see a reason not to.

Yes, that makes sense. Maybe we see something presentable on this year's ProxTalks :-D

Adding some management for QEMU-supported non-native architectures into Proxmox would be great!

just a slight correction - pve-qemu-kvm / qemu-server are not able to do that yet.

it is entirely possible to implement it (configuring the Qemu build to include some additional emulation targets is the small part, actually integrating those architectures into qemu-server in a meaningful way is the bigger one). of course such an ARM VM emulated in software on an x86 host is likely slower than a HW-accelerated ARM VM on an arm64 host, but it does work and for e.g., development/testing purposes it's probably fast enough :)

5 years later -- there's a massive list of "Types" that pmx/qemu/kvm can support - are we any closer to arm64 support in the GUI?

we did some evaluation tests, but the hardware situation was still rather underwhelming.. there is some experimental support on the CLI, but nothing on the GUI.

Code:
mkdir testingLnxBil
cd testingLnxBil
wget http : //stappers.it/do303/debian/stable/main/amd64/qemu-system-arm.deb
# partial output of  wget do303  package.deb
# Resolving stappers.it (stappers.it)... 77.72.145.78, 2a01:7c8:aaae:103::1
# HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 303 See Other
# Location: http : //ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu-system-arm_2.1+dfsg12+deb8u6_amd64.deb [following]
# -timestamp-  http : //ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/pool/main/q/qemu/qemu-system-arm_2.1+dfsg12+deb8u6_amd64.deb
# Resolving ftp.nl.debian.org (ftp.nl.debian.org)...
# Connecting to ftp.nl.debian.org (ftp.nl.debian.org)
# HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
# Saving to: ‘qemu-system-arm.deb’
dpkg -x qemu-system-arm.deb .
ls
find usr

So far, so good.
Let's give it a spin ...

Code:
yanur:~/testingLnxBil# usr/bin/qemu-system-aarch64 -M ?
usr/bin/qemu-system-aarch64: error while loading shared libraries: \
 libiscsi.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
yanur:~/testingLnxBil#

iscsi library is on system as version 7. I made a symbolic link libiscsi.so.2 pointing to .7.

Next run yield error about missing bluetooth library.
Installing bluetooth library by apt got me a lot warnings.
Stopped with the advice.
Removed the libiscsi symlink to get proxmox server back to original state.

Looking forward to see further advice how to get ARM / ARM64 / MIPS / POWERPC running on Proxmox VE.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
Don't know any use any more. In my case I could 'install -y qemu-system-arm' for Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook.
So I use ' apt install --download-only qemu-system-arm" to download the package without installation. All downloaded packages are at /var/cache/apt/archives/Then use 'dpkg -x /var/cache/apt/archives/qemu-system-arm_1%3a7.2+dfsg-7+deb12u5_amd64.deb /'
Then repeat "/bin/qemu-system-arm -M ?" to find out the missing libraries and use 'apt-file find <missing lib>' and install the package.
In my case I end up installing 'apt -y install libcapstone4 libpmem1 libvdeplug2'
Hope this is helpful.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!