pveproxy not running on ipv4

markc

Sep 12, 2020
Gold Coast, Australia
spiderweb.com.au
I just did a cli update and now pveproxy is not running on the ipv4 interface. Any suggestions?

~ netstat -tanup | grep 8006
tcp6 0 0 :::8006 :::* LISTEN 4503/pveproxy

~ pveversion
pve-manager/7.0-13/7aa7e488 (running kernel: 5.11.22-5-pve)

~ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
192.168.20.21 pve1.goldcoast.org pve1
192.168.20.22 pve2.goldcoast.org pve2

~ uname -n
pve2

~ sysctl -p
vm.swappiness = 90
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6 = 1

# desperate attempt above to disable ipv6

I just did a cli update and now pveproxy is not running on the ipv4 interface. Any suggestions?
From what version? Did you actually try to connect to the pVE interface and that does not work anymore or is this just an assumption from the netstat output? as that looks actually OK

netstat -tanup | grep 8006
tcp6 0 0 :::8006 :::* LISTEN 4503/pveproxy
This is fine, PVE nowadays listens on the any-wildcard address that maps IPv4 into IPv6 address, it looks the same here and I know for a fact that I can still connect over IPv4 too.

I'd rather check the more modern socket stat tool ss, it better shows that fact with less confusion, e.g. here:

Bash:
ss -tlp | grep 8006
LISTEN 0      128                                     *:8006              *:*    users:(("pveproxy",pid=23845,fd=6) ... )

# desperate attempt above to disable ipv6
You normally do not want to do such things, that often has a big load of unexpected side effects all over the place, I'd highly recommend dropping those sysctls.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!