PVE8 log timestamp format changed

AlexKay

Nov 17, 2022
Hi folks,
I use logcheck to sort out logs and mail only non common messages. Since update to PVE8 I noticed changed timestamps in several logfiles:

PVE7:
Code:
/var/log/syslog:
Jul  2 00:00:22 pve1 pveproxy[1228132]: worker exit
Jul  2 00:00:22 pve1 pveproxy[1279269]: worker 1228130 finished
PVE8:
Code:
/var/log/syslog:
2023-07-06T13:29:31.929626+02:00 pve1 postfix/smtpd[2766625]: connect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1]
2023-07-06T13:29:31.929762+02:00 pve1 postfix/smtpd[2766625]: disconnect from localhost.localdomain[127.0.0.1] ehlo=1 quit=1 commands=2

This change affects several logfiles such as syslog, auth.log, cron.log, kern.log and many more.
Is this change introduced by Debian 12 / bookworm or changed by PVE8?

Did you install rsyslog on your own? As far as I understand, by default, syslog won't be used by PVE8/Bookworm any longer and systemd journal should be used instead.

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
This change affects several logfiles such as syslog, auth.log, cron.log, kern.log and many more.
Is this change introduced by Debian 12 / bookworm or changed by PVE8?
Yes - with bookworm the rsyslog.conf changed and now logs in the (far more sensible) rfc3339 timestamp format. - The change comes from Debian - not from the PVE packages (which don't touch your syslog config)

You can change back to traditional format by adding:
Code:
$ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
in your rsyslog.conf (below the GLOBAL DIRECTIVES comment)

I assume Debian did the change now, since rsyslog is not installed by default anymore as @Dunuin correctly pointed out.

Reactions: DICKHILL and Dunuin
Thanks for your clarifications!
Maybe I still have rsyslog installed, because I migrated (apt distr-upgrade) from PVE6 to 7 and a couple of days ago to 8.
I will check if logcheck package relies on rsyslog or if it could also use systemd journal instead.
After that I can decide to adapt my custom rules to filter out non-relevant from email notifications.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!