PVE standalone server won't boot on 6.8.4-3 Linux kernel

Xianod

May 11, 2024
Dear community,

I request your help like visibly many other folks according to other similar topics regarding a Proxmox non-booting blocking issue following a recent kernel upgrade to the "6.8.4-3-pve" release.

I'm still stuck on an initramfs console with the below output:

Begin: Running /scripts/local-block ... done.
done.
Gave up waiting for root file system device. Common problems:
- Boot args (cat /proc/cmdline)
- Check rootdelay= (did the system wait long enough?)
- Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev)
ALERT! /dev/mapper/system--giarq-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

BusyBox v1.35.0 (Debian 1:1.35.0-4+b3) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

(initramfs)

I made the stupid mistake to purge / delete older kernels versions before ensuring me of the proper work of the new one (6.8.4-3) through a system restart...
Furthermore, my PVE setup is installed on a Scaleway dedicated server, which unfortunately means that I cannot boot it on a Proxmox live rescue ISO (only Ubuntu / FreeBSD PXE boot images are available)

I guess that the best things to do would be to reinstall a 6.5.X-pve kernel by chrooting the system from the PXE live rescue.
Unluckily, I can't successfully manage the ZFS mounting of the PVE rootfs (no zpool volume being identified)

I would be so grateful if any of you could help me in order to avoid a full reinstall...
Is it the first time in almost 10 years that I encounter a huge PVE blocking problem like that

Thank you so much!
Thomas

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!