[SOLVED] PVE on SATADOM

kyriakoschar

Sep 29, 2023
Hello starter here and i am thinking to install PVE on 2 dedicated SATADOMs (as mirroring boot drives), in order to save 2 sata slots from my mobo.

Supermicro's solutions are these below:
64GB with READ/WRITE = 520/95 MB/S
32GB with READ/WRITE = 280/50 MB/S
For both drives, supermicro gives 1DPWD endurance (and something UBER values) but i didn't find if there is a PLP feature. Does anyone knows if PLP applies to this drives?

Also, i would like to ask if such drives are ok for PVE , i mean by the perspective of speed (is it ok the 280/50?). My plan is to use them only as boot drives on an 24x7, ups powered home server. Other files like ISOs, tempates etc, will be stored probably on the 2 SSDs of VMs (which i will need some advices in another topic in the future).

Thank you!

Performance shouldn't be problem when even HDDs are totally fine. Its more about the durability of cheap flash because of the write amplification as PVE is doing tons of small writes (here ~10GB per disk per day). Especially when using ZFS for your mirror.

Reactions: kyriakoschar
Performance shouldn't be problem when even HDDs are totally fine.
Even with 280/50 mb/s read/write speed?
PVE is doing tons of small writes (here ~10GB per disk per day).
Is the 1 DPWD sufficient enough for PVE?

I have satadoms on supermicro and i hate it. I will rather buy extra sata card and normal ssds.
Is there a wear on these drives over short time that it made you to regret installing them?

I am reconsidering for 2 ssds for pve + vms + lxcs

SATA domes are generally intended for read-intensive systems, not write-intensive systems. DWPD also only says that you can write 32 GB per day, but the value is limited by the warranty, so if you have 3 years, you have a TBW of about 35 TBW. Enterprise SSDs with 120 GB cost about the same and usually make 350 to 600 TBW.

Reactions: kyriakoschar
ok. I turned my research and i am searching options for mixed use like intel S4620 now. Thank you all for your valuable info!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!