[SOLVED] PVE installer not doing what I say to do!

Gilberto Ferreira

Renowned Member
Hi.
I don't know if this happens only with me, but everytime I try to install following the schema bellow:

Filesystem - XFS
hdzise: 160G
root: 80G
maxvz: 0

Proxmox end up to use the entire disk as LVM.

So, after installed I end up with this:

lvs
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
root pve -wi-ao---- 49.81g
swap pve -wi-ao---- <7.75g
root@pve01:~# vgs
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 2 0 wz--n- <159.00g <101.44g
root@pve01:~# fdisk -l /dev/sda
Disk /dev/sda: 160 GiB, 171798691840 bytes, 335544320 sectors
Disk model: VBOX HARDDISK
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 5AE51985-7637-4765-949D-F2B40C7D79F4

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/sda1 34 2047 2014 1007K BIOS boot
/dev/sda2 2048 2099199 2097152 1G EFI System
/dev/sda3 2099200 335544286 333445087 159G Linux LVM <<<<<<<<<<< --- here it's suppose to have an unused partition like /dev/sda4 without any kind of filesystem.

Why that's happen???

Last edited:
The most likely explanation is that you didnt click "apply"/"ok" at some point. The less likely, but possible, a bug.
Can you try to install PVE as a VM and attempt to reproduce all the steps, all the while taking copious screenshots? If you can reproduce it, I am sure PVE developers will be grateful for a detailed instructions.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

The most likely explanation is that you didnt click "apply"/"ok" at some point. The less likely, but possible, a bug.
Can you try to install PVE as a VM and attempt to reproduce all the steps, all the while taking copious screenshots? If you can reproduce it, I am sure PVE developers will be grateful for a detailed instructions.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
I think that is impossible proceed with this installation unless I do click in apply
Anyway, here the iptions I choose in installation time:

1700575589356.png

Then I click ok, and go along with the installation.
But in the end, I don't see any unused partition.

Hi,
this might be a misunderstanding on how the installer works with disks. The hdsize parameter determines how much space proxmox will use up on that disk. This spaces will, when choosing xfs or ext4, be formatted as lvm. The maxroot determines the size of the logical volume for the root partition which will then be formatted as xfs or ext4 according to the filesystem parameter. Setting maxvz to 0 will only lead to unused space by lvm, not to free space on the disk. If you want to have free space on the disk, lower the hdsize parameter.

Btw, fdisk -l will not show you the unused space as a partition, since there won't be one. The space simply remains untouched by Proxmox, leaving it as free space, in which you can create your own partitions and filesystems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gilberto Ferreira

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!