[SOLVED] PVE GUI unreachable via LAN

Hutas

Mar 27, 2021
Forgive me for this beginner question, but for the life of g.. I can't figure it out, and after reading hundreds of posts, still unable to find the answer with the golden tip.

My last resort is my post on this great forum, hopefully someone is able to help me out.

Please find attached:

1. overview of my (working) network setup
2. screenshots of my proxmox current config
3. my /etc/network/interfaces.

Problem:

Proxmox is installed on a QOTOM PC, in the utilities cabinet.
PFSense VM is installed managing Firewall, Router, VLANs, OPVN, etc greatly. Couldn't be happier.

Prox host ip is accessible through NIC-6 (management port). --> However, I don't want to be managing my prox VM's from the Utility cabinet, it's not practical.

So I tried to make PVE Host accessible through the LAN, as to which I'm failing miserably...

Question:
Can somebody give me a clear view how I must configure PVE (and perhaps PFSense ?), to be able to do the following:

1. able to access PVE Host throught NIC-06 (e.g. for in the occassion PFSense VM is down)

2. able to access PVE Host through the LAN...
2a. either being on the LAN network: 10.0.100.0/24

2b. or being on the Server VLAN 10

(bonus question.... I'm also a little bit confused about the role of the host-file, in it the IP of PVE is still on 10.0.100.4 but that doesn't seem to make any difference. PVE host is reachable through 10.0.200.10:8006 on NIC-06)

I would be very grateful for any help I can get.
Vernon

interfaces:

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

iface enp6s0 inet manual

iface enp1s0 inet manual

iface enp2s0 inet manual

iface enp3s0 inet manual

iface enp4s0 inet manual

iface enp5s0 inet manual

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

address 10.0.200.10/24

bridge-ports enp6s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

#MANAGEMENT

iface wlx240a64a0fa64 inet manual

auto vmbr1

iface vmbr1 inet manual

bridge-ports enp1s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

bridge-vlan-aware yes

bridge-vids 2-4094

#WAN

auto vmbr2

iface vmbr2 inet static

address 10.0.100.10/24

bridge-ports enp2s0

bridge-stp off

bridge-fd 0

bridge-vlan-aware yes

bridge-vids 2-4094

#LAN

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.png
    2.png
    39 KB · Views: 12
  • etc_network_interfaces.txt
    784 bytes · Views: 6
  • Overview.png
    Overview.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
1. able to access PVE Host throught NIC-06 (e.g. for in the occassion PFSense VM is down)

AFAIU this is already possible.

2. able to access PVE Host through the LAN...
2a. either being on the LAN network: 10.0.100.0/24

2b. or being on the Server VLAN 10

In principle both is possible but since currently there is neither a virtual nic nore an address defined for LAN10 it will work only with untagged LAN. If it's not working check via tcpdump if packets for 10.0.100.10:8006 arrive at vmbr2

(bonus question.... I'm also a little bit confused about the role of the host-file, in it the IP of PVE is still on 10.0.100.4 but that doesn't seem to make any difference. PVE host is reachable through 10.0.200.10:8006 on NIC-06)

If do not restrict it by firewall Proxmox GUI at port 8006 can be reached by using any configured IP address. But IMO in the above it should be rather 10.0.100.10 and noz 10.0.100.4

MYSTERY SOLVED. I am very grateful for everybody taking time and effort to look into my topics and providing their assistance and great advices.

As I expected (with limited experience) it was an obvious thing causing my laptop on a VLAN not able to connect to Proxmox

I had some assistance, and performing a tracert command and a few checks on other (working) servers on the other VLAN, soon it was discovered that devices on VLANs were actually able to talk to Proxmox, but Proxmox was unable to to talk back. Prox was trapped in its own subnet!!

--> I'd forgotten to give Proxmox a gateway!! Dohhhh

So it was not PFsense / firewall, or pfsense routing configs, it was a simple network configuration error, honest beginner mistake.
(My sincerest apologies for wasting somebody's time)

Kind regards,
Vernon

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!