PVE Freezing & ACPI BIOS Errors on Bootup

I do know they have newer BIOS versions for those boxes. Not sure if they could be applied to our machines.

However, I do know it's not normal for PVE with OPNSENSE to be crashing all of the time, lots of people over there with things working normally and using all sorts of combos of c states, turbo, undervolting, etc...

So figure something must be wrong with the one I got.

The only thing i could suggest is matching my settings excatly BIOS, VM and removing it from a cluster, CIFS, get the latest release (from the ISO) etc to see if yours works..... Also its worth checking if the PSU/plug it came with is supplying a constant, maybe you have another at the same rating as that? Thing is if yours is crashing at the same time mine did around 1am its no coincidence.

Mine is now 3 days in and still working fine.

Perhaps if it came to it maybe you could install windows on that and run it for a few days all default BIOS etc...i bet it works. Then you can be sure its neither hardware or BIOS.

Going on two days now with the new machine and no crashes so far.

Might be something wrong with those 4 port units with the built in fan when running proxmox or opnsense? The 6 port unit without the fan on top seems to be working just fine.

Ahh well thats good news!..... I doubt its the 4 ports vs 6 ports per say as they are the same Intel NICs i believe just with an extra 2. It might be a case of the BIOS being different maybe and the way it deals with pass-through... i dont know? Its a tricky one to get to the bottom of but since ive done what ive done ive had no crashes at all with mine.

Keep me posted though as im intrigued :)

Ahh well thats good news!..... I doubt its the 4 ports vs 6 ports per say as they are the same Intel NICs i believe just with an extra 2. It might be a case of the BIOS being different maybe and the way it deals with pass-through... i dont know? Its a tricky one to get to the bottom of but since ive done what ive done ive had no crashes at all with mine.

Keep me posted though as im intrigued :)

Still not a single issue, running smoothly, and honestly network performance seems to be a bit better too even though I have allocated the same number of cores and am using the same RAM/SSD.

I'll spend some time trying out your other settings too and see what impact it has on performance, when I have the time.

Have you had any hangs since you made those changes? Also, if you disable turbo, what is your max core frequency? It looks like base clock speeds are quite slow the 8505 I have running in that machine.

Thats good to hear! and no ive not had any issues either....

I dont recall seeing what the max clock speed it set it to when turbo is disabled but this is what i get with this command ......

root@softrouter:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz
cpu MHz : 2700.000
cpu MHz : 1179.662
cpu MHz : 1562.759
cpu MHz : 1174.604
cpu MHz : 643.872

and lscpu.....

root@softrouter:~# lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Address sizes: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 12
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-11
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
BIOS Vendor ID: Intel(R) Corporation
Model name: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U
BIOS Model name: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U To Be Filled By O.E.M. CP
U @ 1.6GHz
BIOS CPU family: 198
CPU family: 6
Model: 154
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 10
Socket(s): 1
Stepping: 4
CPU(s) scaling MHz: 134%
CPU max MHz: 1800.0000
CPU min MHz: 400.0000
BogoMIPS: 5376.00

This specific cpu i7-1265U is 1.8 to 4.8 GHz on the performance cluster and 1.3 to 3.6 GHz on the efficient cluster. It seems for what i have it set to its mostly clocking in 2.7ghz but i only have OPNsense running on it and its not being pushed much at all.

I do plan on buying another one of these as a backup but most likely go with the i3 model and only have OPNsene running on it with the odd Pi-Hole VM (or simliar) What i will try then is revert all BIOS settings again to see how it holds up.

Thats good to hear! and no ive not had any issues either....

I dont recall seeing what the max clock speed it set it to when turbo is disabled but this is what i get with this command ......

root@softrouter:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz
cpu MHz : 1179.662
cpu MHz : 1562.759
cpu MHz : 1174.604
cpu MHz : 643.872

and lscpu.....

root@softrouter:~# lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Address sizes: 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 12
On-line CPU(s) list: 0-11
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
BIOS Vendor ID: Intel(R) Corporation
Model name: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U
BIOS Model name: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1265U To Be Filled By O.E.M. CP
U @ 1.6GHz
BIOS CPU family: 198
CPU family: 6
Model: 154
Thread(s) per core: 2
Core(s) per socket: 10
Socket(s): 1
Stepping: 4
CPU(s) scaling MHz: 134%
CPU max MHz: 1800.0000
CPU min MHz: 400.0000
BogoMIPS: 5376.00

This specific cpu i7-1265U is 1.8 to 4.8 GHz on the performance cluster and 1.3 to 3.6 GHz on the efficient cluster. It seems for what i have it set to its mostly clocking in 2.7ghz but i only have OPNsense running on it and its not being pushed much at all.

I do plan on buying another one of these as a backup but most likely go with the i3 model and only have OPNsene running on it with the odd Pi-Hole VM (or simliar) What i will try then is revert all BIOS settings again to see how it holds up.
Did you ever have any further issues?

I’m thinking I may try replicating your settings and seeing where that gets me. Even when I’m not running opnsense, and Proxmox is just running, I still get crashes occasionally. I can be in a month or it can be in a few days.

Trying to decide whether I want to install something else on this, or still run other services on Proxmox.

I haven't had a single drop out no, i've put it through its paces many times... Remind me of your physical setup and bios, proxmox, vm settings etc and i'll be able to point out/compare to mine :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!