PVE 8 and Hetzner Failover Subnet

RoffDaniel

Jan 11, 2020
Ukraine
www.roffdaniel.com
Good evening everyone, I have a question regarding subnet forwarding from Hetzner to a virtual machine. Yes, there are a lot of similar questions here, but all of them do not solve my question, so I ask for help from experienced admins. I am using PVE 8 and MikroTik CHR as a virtual router. I get a subnet from Hetzner, for example 192.168.168.200/29. How can I forward this subnet directly to the virtual router for further management?

Thanks for all!

Good evening everyone, I have a question regarding subnet forwarding from Hetzner to a virtual machine. Yes, there are a lot of similar questions here, but all of them do not solve my question, so I ask for help from experienced admins. I am using PVE 8 and MikroTik CHR as a virtual router. I get a subnet from Hetzner, for example 192.168.168.200/29. How can I forward this subnet directly to the virtual router for further management?

Thanks for all! Doglikesbest
Hello,

Good evening! Forwarding a subnet from Hetzner to your virtual router in PVE 8 and managing it through MikroTik CHR involves several steps. Here’s a high-level overview of what you need to do:

Assign the Subnet to MikroTik CHR: You’ll need to assign one of the IP addresses from your Hetzner subnet to the ‘LAN’ interface on the CHR. This IP will act as the gateway for the other VMs.

Configure the Virtual Machines: Assign the remaining IP addresses from the subnet to your VMs, setting the CHR’s IP address as their gateway.
Enable Proxy ARP: If you’re using an L2 tunnel, you may need to enable proxy ARP on the internal-facing interface of your CHR.

Routing Configuration: Ensure that the routing is correctly configured on both Hetzner’s side and the CHR to allow traffic to flow between the subnet and the internet.

Firewall Rules: Set up appropriate firewall rules on the CHR to manage the traffic as per your requirements.

I hope the information may helps you.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!