PVE 8.1-1 installation fails with unsquashfs-error

zer0hh

Dec 3, 2023
Hi Community and a happy first Advent,

I can't figure out why my installation fails and desperately hope for your help

My installation of PVE 8.1-1 keeps aborting with the following error:
command 'unsquashfs -f -dest /target -I /cdrom/pve-base.squashfs' failed with exit code 1 at /usr/share/perl5/Proxmox/Install.pm line 906

Problem-solving approaches I already took:
  • verified checksum of ISO
  • tried different USB-sticks
  • tried different USB-ports
  • tried different RAM (original 4GB one and my upgraded 16GB)
    • successful memtest on both
  • tried different SSD (original 8GB one and my upgraded 512GB)
  • successfully tried installation of Debian12 OS
Hardware configuration:
  • Fujitsu Futro S920
  • AMD GX 415GA 4x 1,5GHz
  • 16GB Kit (2x8GB) DDR3L 1600 MHz SODIMM PC3 PC3L 12800S 8GB 204-Pin 2Rx8 DDR3 1600MHz Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.35V CL11 Dual Rank
  • Transcend 512GB interne mSATA SSD SATA III TS512GMSA230S
Please inform me, if I can provide more helpful information.
Thank you all in advance for a hint on where I could search for the issue!

Update: I was able to install PVE 7.4-1 without any issues... Any idea why 8.1 is not working? Anyone similar experiences?

I have also encountered the same problem, and I don't know how to solve it. My configuration includes an N100 CPU, 16GB of memory, and 256GB of NVME

It has been resolved. When selecting a hard drive, there is an options button, click on it, change ext4 to xfs, and then you can install it normally.
微信截图_20231207215653.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the xfs solution did not work for me. Has anyone else had any luck with getting the install working. Cheers

Exactly same issue here. Tried 8.1-1 and 8.0-2, both fails.
Also N100, 16GB RAM and 500GB NVME.

Had problem with that too, "Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices". Trying to figure out fix for that, maybe that is only way to go now.

I am getting this same error. Brand new ASRock NUC BOX-160P with 32GB 1T drive.
During install process error came up about Bluetooth but process proceeded. When I try 7.4 Bluetooth error causes process to freeze.
Screen shot attached.

Can confirm that v8.1 fails on my Optiplex 7050 i7 using xfs or ext4.

Memory check passed.

Using 7.4 with xfs succeeded (didn't check with ext4).

Seems something is indeed broken with v8.1 for installs

Last edited:
Same for me N100, 16GB RAM and 500GB NVME ext4 and xfs no go will try proxmox 7 which I have running on a Udoo x86 and see what happens. Then upgrade to 8.1.

7.4 didnt work on my new N100 so installed debian then Lubuntu both of which worked then tried Proxmox 7.4 again and got a frame buffer error but post https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/generic-solution-when-install-gets-framebuffer-mode-fails.111577/ fixed that. Did have to guess when to click tab and enter as the screen was a mess. But is now installed.

Last edited:
Had same issue with unsquashfs on v8.1, attempted two separate flash drives, ext4 & xfs, etc. - other things like different usb ports, blabla, same issue(s) as reported by others.

Was able to install 7.4 without issue.

Same problem. N100, neither 8.1 or 7.4, ext or xfs combination worked.

I tried all combinations with several pendrives to be sure, after several attemps i reached this thread.

1h ago proxmox 8.2 was release! will give it a chance. Hope this new version works.

I guess the problems comes with N95 or N100 processors due all people here has this same processor type.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!