putting preinstalled proxmox hd into a new machine?

TheTipsyTechnician

Nov 11, 2023
Greetings Gurus -- new booty question here I'm sure of it!
my very first deployment of proxmox was on a used HP laptop thanks to network chuck ... that laptop has mobo issues but the
drive with proxmox on it is still in great shape .. if i say, put that same HD into a server i have laying around, ya think it will fire right up?
or am i looking into the command line abyss of issues.
thoughts, comments, remedial remedies, and death threats welcome.

cheers.

Usually works without a problem as long as both use UEFI boot or legacy boot and you didn`t used secure boot. But you will have to edit your network config to match the new NIC names and PCI passthrough. You might also want to check that the CPU type chosen for the VMs is supported by your new servers CPU.

Last edited:
you two gurus are the bees knees 8) .. imma try it out and ill report back with the disastrous results.
thanks again for sharing the knowledge.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!