Proxmox wont shutdown/reboot correctly

Nov 19, 2023
Hi all,

Just wanted to see if any else has had this issue with their proxmox server.

The only way to bring it back online is to turn it off and then back on again. It won't do a proper reboot on its own.

Thank you in advance.

Trevor

You give no usefull information about your proxmox version, kernel version, hardware, nor the exact problem, does your shutdown hang, does your machine not restart after shutdown? Error messages? screenshots? anything?

Hi Ubu,

Sorry I am new here, specs are:
intel NUC 12th Gen, i7 WSH, 64Gb RAM, 256Gb nVME SSD (OS Drive), 1TB SATA SSD (Data Drive).

There is nothing really to show that even when I issue the shutdown I am still able to ping the Proxmox Server, but cannot load the webGUI.

I physically need to unplug the power and plug it back in to get it to boot again.

I have tried with VM running and turned off, it does the same thing.

Not sure what other detail I cant provide, there are no error messages (unless you can direct me to a play to get some logs).

Thank you in advance.

Trevor

If you can ping the system, it’s still in the process of shutting down. The easiest way would be to connect a display and take a look on the console output.

Does the black screen even appear when the system operates normally, after the boot process for example?

Hi,
I have the same problem as Trevor.
Pve:8.0.9 no subscription NUC I5 32G Ram.

Product code : BOXNUC8i5BEH1

I did a power off and power on reboot then an update. everything is fine.

1.check if you have a persistant journal ( does /var/log/journal exits)
2. do a reboot, power off after a few minutes if it doesnt reboot
3. start and check the journal from the boot before with journalctl -b -1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!