[SOLVED] Proxmox won't boot after fan cleaning (stops at /dev/mapper/pve-root clean)

Zoker

Oct 31, 2020
Hi there,

Today I opened my HP ProDesk 400 G5 to dust of the fans. Then I plugged everything in again and booted proxmox. Even after 10 minutes, it was not reachable.
I then hooked a monitor up to the client and this is what I saw:
20240221_040242 (1).jpg

Code:
Found volume group "pve" using metadata type lvm2
86 logical volume(s) in volume group "pve" now active
/dev/mapper/pve-root: clean, 77426/6291456 files, 4121285/25165824 blocks
_

I then rebooted and again this screen was the furthest the PC would boot.

I can boot into the recovery mode and I can even log in. But I'm not sure, what I should look for in there.

Can someone give me an advice how to debug this issue or even solve it?

Thanks!

Edit: Turns out, I plugged in the wrong network cable and proxmox was not able to connect to the network ‍:facepalm:

Last edited:
Good to see you've solved it :) Please don't feel bad though; there's an incredible number of people who do this, and once you've done it once, you get paranoid and typically don't do it again.

For future reference, other ones to keep an eye out for:
Any cable partially inserted.
Any internal cable partially inserted.
Faulty network cables; seriously, check your cables, both to the machine, between the wall and the cabinet, and the cable in the cabinet. I dealt with one today that was causing a workstation very odd traffic issues within a cabinet.

Reactions: Zoker

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!