Proxmox & VMs lose network connection with High Traffic

pct86

Apr 22, 2024
Hi everyone,
I'm having an issue with my home proxmox server. I'm hosting a Nextcloud docker container in an Ubuntu VM. For some reason it seems when there is high internet traffic both Proxmox & the VMs lose their network connection. I cannot ping the Proxmox server. VMs however are still running. Currently nextcloud is doing a 1st time sync to my backup client, and the backup size is 1.5tb, and I believe this high traffic is causing the crash. When the nextcloud docker container is shut down (ubuntu vm is still up though), I'm not getting any crashes.

Semi-noobie here. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Reactions: Lincee
When i limit the bandwith to 15MB/s it seems to hold out longer, maybe you can check that as well?

{Minion} Ehhh no, don't have the time or inclination for that ;-)

What I'm doing is sending/receiving ~2TiB of iperf3 test comms bidirectional with 2 parallel threads, between my Proxmox host and SuSE VM without involving a physical NIC; virtio, 10Gbit, MTU 9000 and doing a journalctl -f in GNU screen to keep an eye out for errors

time iperf3 -c hostip -k 2T -P 2 --bidir --repeating-payload

No worries, I updated the other thread. My test ran for about an hour and a half IIRC and transferred somewhere between 3 and 15 terabytes of repeating data up/down with no issues. But that was just host-to-vm without involving a NIC

Reactions: Lincee

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!