Proxmox VM C Drive Extend

serdaryalcin

Jul 24, 2020
Hi Everybody,

Can you please tell me how to extend proxmox vm c drive. I try to extend it from hardware but I can not use it for C drive.

Thanks in advance

If you extend the disk of a VM, you still need to extend the partitions and file systems inside the VM afterwards.

In Windows you have the `Disk Management` console in which you can do that.

If you extend the disk of a VM, you still need to extend the partitions and file systems inside the VM afterwards.

In Windows you have the `Disk Management` console in which you can do that.

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you but When I try yo extend it from Disk management I can not.

Please find attached picture about disk management. Extend volume is grey out as you can see..Capture.JPG

As you can see, there is an additional partition after the one you want to expand before the free space. Partitions cannot be split so you wil have to move the third partition to the end of the disk.

One possibility is to boot the VM with a Linux Live CD like Ubuntu and use gparted to move the Partitions around. This will take some time as the file system inside the third partition needs to be moved as well.

No idea if this can be done inside the running Windows itself. If you search the internet, there should be plenty of guides for this situation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!