Proxmox VLAN + Unifi - VMs don't get IP when VLAN tagged

Len

Dec 30, 2023
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!!

I know, not another VLAN in Proxmox thread! But I have genuinely tried to tackle this for the past 4 days and will detail below what I've tried in the hopes that it genuinely is something silly that I've overlooked.

Background

System versions:

Proxmox VE version: 8.0.3
Unifi OS: 3.1.16
Unifi Network: 8.0.7

The baremetal pc has 1 NIC that I'm using for the bridge, and to be VLAN aware

Here are the resources that I have tried and tested:

1. https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/15ijbbi/vlan_tagging_proxmox_unifi/
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljq6wlzn4qo&t=692s
3. https://www.wundertech.net/how-to-configure-vlans-in-proxmox/
4. And the documentation source (which the above are also based on): https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_network_configuration

This is a simplified overview of what I'm trying to achieve (everything except the VMs sections are live and working):

1704070120735.png

Actual steps I have tried:

1. Enabled cross talk of the management vlan with all other vlans (via Unifi firewall settings)

2. Under port manager, for the port that the proxmox server is connected to, I have set the Native VLAN/Network to the management network (eg vLAN 10). And I have changed the "Tagged VLAN Management" setting from 'Block All' to 'Allow All'
1704069140011.png

3. Set my Proxmox linux bridge to be 'VLAN Aware' via the GUI, then tested a VLAN TAG id on a VM. But it keeps giving me the following network error and it wouldn't even get an ip address:

1704069324987.png
1704069335671.png

4. After restoring the interfaces file via the shell, I then tried editing the interfaces file according to resources links 1 & 4.

It looked like the below, then after I saved the file. I could no longer access the server remotely. I also checked on my unifi controller, it didn't even show up as being able to connect to it. So I logged in physically at the pc and then restored the back-up interface file I made

1704069476501.png

I don't know what else to try or what other settings to test or change?

Any help or guidance will be very much appreciated!

thanks in advance!
Len

some additional info/testing I did:

The IP range that the VM's default to are on the management VLAN, ie they get assigned IPs like 10.0.10.138 etc.

If I DO NOT set a VLAN tag on the VMs, then it works, and the VMs get assigned an IP address and work as expected.
BUT, even if I assign it a VLAN Tag of 10 (ie, a range that I know it works as default), then it doesn't get assigned an IP address and it doesn't work

Which suggests that, as soon as there is a VLAN Tag in the network setting of the VM, it doesn't know what to do and can't even broadcast to receive an IP?

I've also seen a few forums posts here which suggested to turn off all VMs, and reboot and then try assigning the vlan tags - that didn't work

also noticed a few other interface config files which had the netmask, so i added that as well, but still didn't work
1704144913071.png

I also noticed that my DNS, hosts and certificate were based on a previous IP that I had before changing it - so i updated those and forced renew the certs - tried all the above testing again - but still didn't work

I am using my onboard NIC, so wondering if that might be throwing up any issues?

I have an asus x79 deluxe. Looking at specs, these are the 2 nics:
1704150410902.png

Code:
running lshw - class network -businfo

I get the following:
1704150494517.png

The NIC that is being used in the linux bridge is enp10s0

1704150579745.png

EDIT - I did change the connected NIC to the intel one (And updated the linux bridge port reference) - removed the network device on the VM, tried again - but still didn't work!

Last edited:
Wish I could help you however I am in the same boat and have tried the same steps as you. I am commenting in hopes somebody else can help

I'm having the same issue. Migrating from a machine with dedicated NICs for each subnet to a mini pc with a single NIC and trying to make the bridge VLAN-aware. Nothing is working. Configurating a VLAN on the host itself works, however it doesn't seem to translate to the VMs.

Also having the same issue. Coming from ESXi and trying Proxomox. All works fine or even better, but VLAN's don't seem to work.

Solved my problem: Aruba instant on switch uplink port did not pass VLAN. After enabling, Proxmox VLAN's worked fine.

In Unifi Network you could set the native VLAN for the USW Port the bare metal server is attached to and block all other VLAN. Using a static route for communication to/from IOT and PC in other VLAN via bridge cold be working?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!