[SOLVED] Proxmox VE Screen out of range

Hello all,

i would like to install Proxmox on my HP proliant G6 but anyway which image i use (8.0, 7.4) my screen show the Message (Out of range).

I look into this Forum but i only found: Use 7.1... I cant find 7.1 at the download site...

Can someone help me to fix the problem?

BR,
Gurke258

Have you tried the TUI - nomodeset option under the Advanced? It is available since Proxmox VE 8

Reactions: Gurke258
I just tried to reinstall Proxmox VE on an old Supermicro server and ran into this problem. I had previously installed Proxmox VE on this server earlier this year. So, I knew it was possible. I vaguely remembered having some difficulties with the installation screen then, but I had obviously gotten past it somehow. I wasn't sure if I had used a late version of 7 or an early version of 8 originally, but I make it a point to always use the latest. So, I was using 8.1-1 this time, and nothing I tried worked for this new version. I used everything in this post, several various monitors and even a serial console, still no joy.
I finally changed my installation media back to 8.0-2 and the advanced nomodeset console option there worked perfectly.
I'm guessing it is still possible to use the 8.1-1 media on this server, but I sure couldn't guess the correct nomodeset or nofb nomodeset combination to make it work for me.
Yes, I'm sure the 8.1-1 media I was using worked, because I had just used it to install Proxmox on a Dell server with no problems at all.

Reactions: chris_78
Have you tried the TUI - nomodeset option under the Advanced? It is available since Proxmox VE 8
Even this on my ancient monitor is causing problems, likely because it's picking a 1280x900 or something mode. "Mode out of range".

Thrashing about trying to figure an X-based solution here (or go to 7.x install and upgrade apparently?)

EDIT: Solution - had a 6.2 usb key and little patience to download 7.x, installed just fine in gui mode, then upgrade to 8.x.

Last edited:
Hi there,
@aaron ..... i downloaded the last ISO verson on the website... THERE IS NO "NOMODESET" Option under Advanced.

best regards
Stefan

UPDATE : PROXMOX ISO Installer 6.4 works... 8.1 NOT WORKING also not with "nomodeset" ... spent now 2 days on it ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Andre_x
Hi there,
@aaron ..... i downloaded the last ISO verson on the website... THERE IS NO "NOMODESET" Option under Advanced.

best regards
Stefan

UPDATE : PROXMOX ISO Installer 6.4 works... 8.1 NOT WORKING also not with "nomodeset" ... spent now 2 days on it ...

Install 7.x and upgrade. However I think 7.x removed the HOLD-ALT-TO-HIGHLIGHT-KEY-TO-CHOOSE-BUTTON for keyboard only -- my servers dont have a lot of USB (which are user periferals..) - 2 USB slots: 1 for USB key and one for keyboard. Should be able to install with only keyboard! These are servers, not user machines with graphics cards and GUIs.

Last edited:
This is still an issue, the 8.1 installed should be considered severely broken and cannot be used on hardware with VGA-ports.

Same problem, here. Solved by doing the same thing as others. Installing 7.4 and the upgrading

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!