Proxmox VE losing connection with CIFS storage

hapklaar

Nov 13, 2020
From time to time I get notified backups can't be performed of my Proxmox vm's because storage can't be found:

Code:
vzdump backup status (pve.lan) : backup failed: could not activate storage 'N5550': storage 'N5550' is not online

When I open Proxmox VE console the storage is shown as enabled, but not active. The vm's and other hosts can still access this CIFS storage without issue, so it is actually responding fine for other hosts.

The only way I found to reactivate the storage is to do a complete reboot of the Proxmox VE host.

Got a couple of questions:

1. How can I find out why this is happening
2. How can I reactivate the storage without rebooting the Proxmox VE host
3. Can this be automated or rather prevented

Running Proxmox VE 6.4-13

EDIT: Just found my tmpfs filesystem was out of space due to the /run/samba/msg.lock directory being over 650MB in size. Could this be the cause?

Last edited:
hi,

EDIT: Just found my tmpfs filesystem was out of space due to the /run/samba/msg.lock directory being over 650MB in size. Could this be the cause?
yeah maybe.

2. How can I reactivate the storage without rebooting the Proxmox VE host
pvesm set STORAGENAME --disable 1 or --disable 0 should do it.

Can this be automated or rather prevented
depends on why it's happening ;)

does deleting the temp files help?

hi,

yeah maybe.

pvesm set STORAGENAME --disable 1 or --disable 0 should do it.

depends on why it's happening ;)

does deleting the temp files help?
Rebooting, which also clears those temp files, helps. If it happens again I try and remedy by deleting those files by hand then running your suggested command.

Yesterday I updated the box to Proxmox 7.1-7, since then the msg.lock folder has not reappeared, so I have good hope the samba bug was fixed.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!